PDA

View Full Version : nasty surface film...

ewizrd
07/05/2002, 05:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had this small film on the surface of the water... I 'breaks' up when I feed with garlic, and it doesn't stick around where the powerhead is rippling the water surface, but other then that.... How do I get rid of it? Any suggestions? =D TIA!

EW

ewizrd
07/05/2002, 05:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had this small film on the surface of the water... I 'breaks' up when I feed with garlic, and it doesn't stick around where the powerhead is rippling the water surface, but other then that.... How do I get rid of it? Any suggestions? =D TIA!

EW

dollarz81
07/05/2002, 09:54 PM
If you don't have a lid on your tank, its probably dust. Also, don't spray any air freshners or anything else around your tank.

ewizrd
07/05/2002, 09:58 PM
Naw, I've got a lid on it... And I don't use any chemicals or spray anything near it. Too scared to hurt my babies! =] Anything else that might be causing it? It has a really nasty smell to it (more so then it should.... At least I think so....) So I started running carbon a few days ago. I activiated it, by running water through it in the sink for a couple of hours, do you think that is what it is? TIA!

EW

dollarz81
07/05/2002, 10:01 PM
It could be anything, or nothing. Check your parameters and if they are good, don't worry about it. I see your in the military, what branch?

Physh1
07/05/2002, 10:08 PM
It is kind of a "oil slick" that is caused from coral wastes, protein, and from foods, etc. Pretty common and can be fixed through more surface aggitation or some type of surface skimmer or overflow box. Not sure what tank you having this problem with but there are some fixes. Either a pump higher in the tank for surface aggitation or a surface skimmer attachment for power filters. I have one on my 7 gallon nano attached to my aquaclear.

You can see the pics here for a visual.....
http://www.californiareefs.com/surfaceskimmer7reef.htm

Like I said, its common and easy to take care of....

Cameron

ewizrd
07/05/2002, 10:09 PM
The water is fine, 'cept for the filmy skin, and smell.... I am in the AF, out here is BEAUUUUUUTIFUL Hawaii!! =]

EW

figuerres
07/05/2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ewizrd
The water is fine, 'cept for the filmy skin, and smell.... I am in the AF, out here is BEAUUUUUUTIFUL Hawaii!! =]

EW

Smell?

fishy smell?

your tank should *NOT* smell other than a nice clean "sea-spray" kinda smell....

if you have a fishy smell (so to speak) then findout what is decomposing .... that may be creating your "oil-slick"

only time I've had a smell was when a crab/snail or fish died.

zight
07/05/2002, 11:55 PM
You can try with a Hang on power filter like Aquaclear (Hagen) always keeps the surface clean. and they're cheap

RicksReefs
07/06/2002, 01:04 AM
i use overflow skimmer,helps keep
surface free of slick,thereby increasing
gas exchange,light penetration,etc.
are you running a sump or protien skimmer?

jimmyj7090
07/06/2002, 01:24 AM
its normal. place a powerhead so that it jostles the surface, use a surface skimming overflow, or ignore it. it's the stuff that comes out of a skimmer.

ewizrd
07/06/2002, 01:50 AM
Everything is in my sump, i just have my overflow, and two power heads.... what about the smell?? TIA!!

EW

Nagel
07/06/2002, 02:46 AM
Threads merged per ewizrd's request.