PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Tank Advice

wardworld
11/16/2006, 05:28 PM
Over the upcoming Thanksgiving break I'm planning on beginning to switch out my 55 to my new 120. Ultimately I'd like to use everything from the 55 (except the aiptasia, heehee). I've done some reading/talking and so far figured out the following:
1. Move the old tank, but keep it running for a while.
2. Set up the new tank w/ some seeded live sand from the old and a few pieces of "old" live rock and some "new" baserock.
3. Gradually move the inhabitants from the 55 to the 120.

Can anyone recommend tips/tricks/items I'm missing? For example, I read somewhere NOT to disturb the sandbed. Does that mean I can't use all of my old sand in my new tank?

Other hints/ideas???
Thanks,
Daryl

dfleary
11/16/2006, 05:37 PM
Are you then going to dismantle the 55? If yes, I don't see why you don't just move all the sand, live rock and water from the 55 to the 120, all at one time.

bill37
11/16/2006, 05:48 PM
I am doing the same but to a 90. I was planning on doing it all in a day. I was going to transfer all the 55 into the 90. Although I am changing my substrate. I am going to a finer sand bed. I bought the playsand Kolorscape from HD. I know there will be a bug sand storm. I never though of keeping them both running for a couple of days. Hmmmm any suggestions????

HornetMech242
11/16/2006, 05:54 PM
If you were to move everything over into the new tank at once you are going to put the tank into a new cycle from the stored nutrients of the sand bed. I would not use the old sand except for some to seed the new sand. Let the new tank cycle and then add the live rock from the old tank and acclimate the corals over to the new tank and lights. You should not get a cycle from the rock since it is already cycled but keep an eye on parameters just in case.

Chris

wardworld
11/16/2006, 06:04 PM
That's what I was wondering, Chris...I figured there would be some potential "cycle" as the new and old LR work out their differences :)
As far as keeping them both running, someone I respect cautioned patience and to let the new tank get really good and cycled before stressing any of the livestock.
-Daryl

usmcsgt
11/16/2006, 07:18 PM
When I moved to my 125, I did it all in one shot because once you start moving some of the rock from the old system it can cause a potential cycle due to loss of rock for filtration.

bill37
11/16/2006, 07:54 PM
usmcsgt

did you have any type of new cycle or die off?

wardworld
11/16/2006, 09:35 PM
Hmmm...hadn't thought of that potential issue....

usmcsgt
11/16/2006, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8562677#post8562677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bill37
usmcsgt

did you have any type of new cycle or die off?

If there was it was untraceable to tests, I used most of the water from old 90 and the rest was new, I also used pretty much all new sand I just used a little bit of my old sand to seed the new.

bill37
11/16/2006, 10:19 PM
Was there a big sand storm??? If so, does that stress out the corals??

wardworld
11/18/2006, 11:32 AM
I'm planning to add some new LR as well...should I add the new LR to the newly-set up 120, let it cycle, and then add the rest of the LR and livestock?
Would there be any advantage to using the old water in the new tank AFTER the new tank is set up for a period of time (with it's own water in it already) OR at that point should I simply dispose of the "old tank" water?