PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Tank with flatworm exit HELP!!!

syilk1
11/16/2006, 08:47 AM
First I did read all the directions and could not seem to siphon out many flatworms as the stuck to everything. I put the medicine in and BOOM looked like red snowstorm. I way underestimated my infestation. Water then turned a brownish tint. I scrambled and threw carbon in. Went to petco and bought a canister filter and loaded with 2 lbs of charcoal. I changed about 30 gallons of water at 5 am. In process of making more. I already lost yellow tang, 2 anthias and most of snails. Other fish 3 clowns, Flame angel, And Hippo tang are still upright but hiding. I left lights out for today. Water smells kind of sour which I am assuming is not good.

Is there any thing I can do to salvage my poor fish?
It is 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump. Will another water change at 3pm be ok?
Scott

Steven Pro
11/16/2006, 08:53 AM
Large, frequent water changes and hope for the best.

syilk1
11/16/2006, 09:03 AM
How frequent?

Shagsbeard
11/16/2006, 09:41 AM
I'd go 10 gallons every 12 hours for a while.

Steven Pro
11/16/2006, 09:45 AM
Another 30 gallon water changes as soon as possible sounds like a good idea to me. And, I would keep making water for additional water changes.

syilk1
11/16/2006, 10:14 AM
I am so heartbroken, Loved those damn fish, Tank was so healthy
Except for stupid worms

Steven Pro
11/16/2006, 10:30 AM
I have some of those flatworms in my tank. They don't bother anything, so I leave them alone. They just look kind of ugly.

Marinemom
11/16/2006, 10:32 AM
I am so sorry for your troubles. I had a tank crash too when I added a chemical into the water. I do not understand how these companies are still in business and there has not been some kind of lawsuit with all of the money, time, effort, and heart that is put into our reefs and tanks.

Marinemom

syilk1
11/16/2006, 11:12 AM
Well the chemical I belive is not the problem, I screwed up underestimating my flatwom problem. It was all the toxic goo they spilled out. The chemical had clear instructions. I just didnt think it would happen in seconds.

Steven Pro
11/16/2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, those flatworms are very toxic and killing them releases all the poison.

Dubbin1
11/16/2006, 11:15 AM
Its a major bummer that this had to happen. I tried telling you last night that you needed to do a water change and if you waited you would wake up to a dead tank. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=973613

I hope everything else pulls through. Keep us updated.

techigirl78
11/16/2006, 11:41 AM
I'm getting ready to use flatworm exit as well. Everynight I try to get everyone that I see siphoned out. Plan to use it in another week. Best of luck to you! This kind of makes me nervous about using the product though.

Randall_James
11/16/2006, 11:48 AM
Trying to remove visible live flatworms is really kind of futile unless they are herded up somehow.

The big thing about the treatment I found is after adding the chemical, to be on top of the dying masses with a siphon tube. They will turn to slime and gel together making removal pretty easy. This just is not a process of add and come back an hour later. You need to sit in front of the tank and start siphoning within a few minutes of adding FWE.

I would also have a lot of makeup water ready before ever starting to kill the little buggers. I also cut down the circulation to keep the mixing of dead worms minimized.

syilk1
11/16/2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Dubbin I know, I never went to bed, Was at the verge of mixing saltwater with tap instaed of waiting for ro/di.
Ho Hum, I just pray my other guys make it when I get home from work I will do another 30 gallon change.

Dubbin1
11/16/2006, 12:43 PM
Do you happen to have a Q tank that you can move things into?

Randall_James
11/16/2006, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8559131#post8559131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by syilk1
Hi Dubbin I know, I never went to bed, Was at the verge of mixing saltwater with tap instaed of waiting for ro/di.
Ho Hum, I just pray my other guys make it when I get home from work I will do another 30 gallon change. That would be better than allowing the worms to poison the fish. Not ideal of course but better to deal with the algae issue than worm poison.

QT tank is a very good idea too if you could capture your livestock

Dubbin1
11/16/2006, 11:40 PM
Update?

syilk1
11/17/2006, 12:16 AM
Well got home from work and other fish made it, They still look a little foggy. Most of my snails are bottom up and Mushrooms of all things look real bad. My SPS bleached white so assuming dead or dying. LPS seem fine and zoos never looked better hehe. I am just devastated on what can happen to such a fragile environment. So death count is so far beside corals
2 anthias
1 beatiful fun loving yellow tang

Survivors
1 hippo tang
1 lawnmower
2 percula clown
1 wild clown
1 flame angel

Thanks for all your support guys. I did do another 30 gallon water change today. My ammonia is barely visable on test kit.
Ph 8.1
Nitrates bumped to 10

Still has sour smell but not too bad

Running 2 lbs of charcoal

Scott

Damn SPS just blew 400 on those pieces 1 month ago

Randall_James
11/17/2006, 10:38 AM
Hate stories like this... sorry for your loss