PDA

View Full Version : I have powerheaditis :(

theatrus
11/16/2006, 03:18 AM
Ok, ok, so it may not be that bad (I've seen worse)... but I have it to some extent.

Whole tank pic:
http://www.stackworks.net/aq082006/ph/tank.jpg
Red shows my powerheads, green is my nifty spraybar return from the sump (note how you can't see it at all :))

http://www.stackworks.net/aq082006/ph/powerheads1.jpg

http://www.stackworks.net/aq082006/ph/powerheads2.jpg

So, as you can see, I have powerheads. 4 in total (MJ 1200x2, Seio M600, MJ600) on my 55g. I feel I need more flow. I don't want to buy another Seio (mine is getting temperamental). I don't want to add another powerhead. I'd like to avoid the "powerhead" look and price of the Tunze (though 2 on a multicontroller would be awesome). Should I attempt to do a MJ-mod (still keeping the powerheads)?

In reality, I want more hard-to-see "green" (like my return - grey PVC pipe, tucked neatly into the corner), not more "red" (powerheads) ;)
Closed loop? Any do a serious flow system in their 55g or 75g that could chime in? I'm not afraid of pushing 50-60x turnover here as I have been getting quite a few SPS pieces. The only low-flow critters I have is the bubble, my derasa clam, and a colt coral - which are all in one low-flow spot on the left of the tank.

reefnetworth
11/16/2006, 03:30 AM
www.marinedepot.com hasMJ-1200 for $18.99. my LFS wanted $45.00 for them. LMAO at them. i would mod one MJ-1200 if you feel its necessary. you are in a 55G you dont ned that much turnover, IME, and IMO. have a great day!

John, :)

Malifluous
11/16/2006, 03:32 AM
do 1 or 2 maxi mods and that is all u will need

theatrus
11/16/2006, 03:47 AM
Well, to be honest, I'd love to reduce in tank clutter even more. Halving my powerhead count would be a good start (though I like my current flow pattern), using even less space inside the tank via an over-the-top closed loop would be best. But thanks for all of your opinions so far :) I'm curious to hear more opinions.

I'm not too scared over over-buying. This 55g will be going into a 120 or 180g (or even a 240) some point in the future - and if you buy good equipment it will still be working by then :)

gasman059
11/16/2006, 07:29 AM
Hey man my 2 cents. I recently did 2 mjmods ( 2 wks ago) still playin with d setup. My concern was always aethetics. D mods r great in terms of flow I have a mixed 200. But aesthetically they are horrible. I maybe in the future getting to vortex and place them oposite to each other across, one high one low. Still trying to figure out how to place them LOL. As far as floew they certainly do d trick

Keiths_Reefs
11/16/2006, 09:25 AM
Well if you can do a closed loop more power to you. Less stuff in the tank, only 1 pump to worry about, ease of alternating current (with the addition of one of the fancy switchers out there). If you are able to I personally think it's the way to go.

RichConley
11/16/2006, 09:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8557569#post8557569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
Hey man my 2 cents. I recently did 2 mjmods ( 2 wks ago) still playin with d setup. My concern was always aethetics. D mods r great in terms of flow I have a mixed 200. But aesthetically they are horrible. I maybe in the future getting to vortex and place them oposite to each other across, one high one low. Still trying to figure out how to place them LOL. As far as floew they certainly do d trick

Are you using the Bell shrouds, or the small shrouds??

My bell shroud ones look the same as my tunzes, only like 1/3 the size. I think theyre pretty nice looking.

theatrus
11/16/2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the opinions so far! :) I may just try a MJMod and dump the Seio on the right and see how it does. Closed loop with many outlets (for that random flow) still looks tempting of course though.

culdublvd
11/16/2006, 04:17 PM
have you checked out the new tunze nano's? Lots of flow for little $$ and electricity. I think the smallest one is 600 or so gph for about $65 plus shipping online. If I remember right it"s smaller then a mj 1200.

Keiths_Reefs
11/16/2006, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8561042#post8561042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by culdublvd
have you checked out the new tunze nano's? Lots of flow for little $$ and electricity. I think the smallest one is 600 or so gph for about $65 plus shipping online. If I remember right it"s smaller then a mj 1200.
Is anyone currently selling these or have they not come out yet?

mr pink floyd
11/16/2006, 05:18 PM
im planning on 1 6025(new nano) for my 29 SPS dominated

its 660 GPH, btu it goes a long way, its spread out alot, so id guess 1 at each end of your 55, pointed directly across at eachother, or at the corners gogi nto the glass will provide some nice random flow

Andrew
11/16/2006, 05:27 PM
Two maxi-jet mods or two seio 1100s/1500s work work. The Tunze nano streams are another choice. I'm going to try to get ahold of one or two for my 75.

RichConley
11/16/2006, 05:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8561579#post8561579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
im planning on 1 6025(new nano) for my 29 SPS dominated

its 660 GPH, btu it goes a long way, its spread out alot, so id guess 1 at each end of your 55, pointed directly across at eachother, or at the corners gogi nto the glass will provide some nice random flow

In a 55? I really doubt they'd even be noticable. Tunzes arent magic.

Talk to someone who has a pair of SEIO 620s in a 55. Its not that impressive. For a 55, I'd be looking at 2 of the biggest Nano-streams, at minimum.

theatrus
11/16/2006, 05:32 PM
Agreed with Rich, my Seio 620 is really weak in a 55g. And the suction cups suck, but thats another matter :)

I hadn't considered the new Nanos, but it looks to be the big nanos only come out in Jan or so.

Fishbulb2
11/16/2006, 05:46 PM
Seemingly unrelated but I think worth mentioning. Get some muriatic acid or vinegar and give those old pumps a soak. It might revive some of their flow if they've slowed down at all. Those things have more life on them than the galapagos. I would just use two MJ1200's modded and pull out the other powerheads. That should be enough flow and may even go a long way when you upgrade to your larger tank. The Tunze 6025 will probably not be a good investment once you move up to that 180 or 220 size tank. The MJ mods and Vortec pumps would however still go a long way in those tanks.

HTH and consider the vinegar dip.
FB

gasman059
11/16/2006, 05:46 PM
I did the new mods and still don't like d aesthetics of my setup.

theatrus
11/16/2006, 05:49 PM
I've done the vinegar bath believe it or not - and yes it does help :). Coraline is just such a fast grower :-/

Say I wanted to do a closed loop - what pump would you recommend?

Fishbulb2
11/16/2006, 05:58 PM
I'm battling the closed loop idea as well but they tend to use a lot of power from the pumps conpared to the tunzes and MJmods. Also it's inherently not very adaptable. If you want more or less flow you can't adjust it well. If you want to move it to a new tank you need to replumb everything. If you are seriously considering a new tank in the near future, definetely go for the cheapest quick fix for the time being (an MJ mod). I'm going to set up a closed loop with a mag 7 and scwd like on Melev's page. He has it on a 29g and I will try it on a 40. I don't know how it will work on a 55.
good luck,
FB

theatrus
11/17/2006, 04:23 AM
Hum, looking at the new Tunze Nanostreams, they do look tempting. Its a shame the controllable one is $200 :(.

I'm tempted to try replacing one of my MJ1200s with the 6045 (comes out at the end of the month). Otherwise I'm seriously considering a closed loop. I'm a little worried about the full-blast nature of it - maybe a single 6000 with the single controller would work better? But then the size - ugh - nothing is easy is it? :)