PDA

View Full Version : Need info

brian@sen
11/15/2006, 07:56 AM
OK first of all for those of you who either have or had ricordia what is the best way to get it off of a rock? Is it like dealing with an anemone or can it be cut into smaller pieces and removed. Lana and I have several big peices of ricordia on a very big rock and we would like to either frag them for the next meeting or move them away from other corals.

Next we just upgraded the light on our 10gal. and would like to know if we could keep a clam in it and if we can what kind would you recomend? The new light is a 96Watt PC and it sits right on top of the tank.

jmccown
11/15/2006, 08:38 AM
I think most people would recommend either T5's or halides for clams. But I'm no expert on lighting.

LtPiper
11/15/2006, 08:59 AM
Here's a good site for coral prop. GARF ricordia prop (http://www.garf.org/ricord/ricord.html) They just cut them off the stalk and then cut them up in pieces. The stalk will grow back and each of the pieces will grow out.

As for the clam. I would think 96 watts on a 10 gallon would work but check with Ron and Jason to make sure.

mcox33
11/15/2006, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550363#post8550363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LtPiper
Here's a good site for coral prop. GARF ricordia prop (http://www.garf.org/ricord/ricord.html) They just cut them off the stalk and then cut them up in pieces. The stalk will grow back and each of the pieces will grow out.

I have tried the garf.org method, even after the ricordia has several mouths it just did not work very well. If you must divide them try wrapping a string or rubberband accross them and be sure to net them.

If you just need to move them try pointing a maxijet 1200 at them from the opposite direction of where you want them to go. They will gradually move. JME

firefish2020
11/15/2006, 11:57 AM
Agree with Mary on the GARF method, you have about a 50% chance with it. Ricordea are not like mushrooms IMO and require a different approach. The best method for removal is to get under the ricordea and pop it off with some of the rock still attached. You then glue the rock in a new area. If you are wanting to propagate it, cut a section of the rim away, I do not cut across the mouth with these animals, let the small frag sit in an area of low flow with large gravel for several weeks it will heal and turn to a small ricordea and attach to some gravel. Good luck.

As for clams, there are some lower light species such as Hippopus clams, and I would stick with one of them for PC light. Also I would remind everyone that clams although they may look small and cute, grow. They grow large when given the proper light and supplements. They also can quickly attach to the the bottom of such a small tank as they do grow. If that happens you could be in some serious trouble in a few years when he out grows his home. Do a bit more research before going with clams, you will respect the animals more and be more apt to give them exactly what they need. BE WARNED CLAMS CAN BE ADDICTIVE.

Reef4Fun
11/15/2006, 04:26 PM
I love my clam! It has grow since I got him, and I have only had him for about 4 - 5 months. Hey Ron, if you remember, what kind of clam is this? He is about 7 inches now and, at first I thought he was going to be just a purple color, not extreemly bright. Well, he has some bright purple, nearly electric blue, on his outer edges now. I'm wondering what kind of clam he is so I will know how large he may get. Also, what is the life span on them? I have him on a rock, just in case he may need moved in the future.

coralreefer
11/15/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8551438#post8551438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firefish2020
Ricordea are not like mushrooms IMO and require a different approach. The best method for removal is to get under the ricordea and pop it off with some of the rock still attached. You then glue the rock in a new area.
that's how we do it using side cutters or a screwdriver.
I'd never hack around on a ricordea. Might have to try Ron's prop method sometime though :)
I've fragged them using a wide rubber band like Mary described but it was an accident :rolleye1:

firefish2020
11/15/2006, 07:18 PM
Reef: Thats a crocea I believe.

brian@sen
11/17/2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. I had tried researching the ricordia frag thing and had even seen the GARF site but the ricordia attach to the rock too much like an anemone for me to want to hack around on it. And like I said most of the ricordia is on a very big rock with other corals so pulling it out of the tank and knocking pieces off didn't sound good either. I guess I'll try the string and net approach and the powerhead thing. I had done research on the clams and knew that I could not keep more light demanding clams in the 10 but had hoped some of the lower light requiring clams would be OK. As for the growth Lana and I are hoping to upgrade the lights on the 40 in the near future and still have the 130 to set up but like most everyone on here maybe we just need the right coral to get the new tank started. Anyway thanks again everyone for the info.

essop3
11/21/2006, 02:57 PM
I keep a Squamossa under 6 wpg of VHO. It's growing pretty well. They don't have color like some of the higher light clams but if you look you can find a pretty one. Like Ron said though they get BIG. The other Chris on here had one that was over 12".

brian@sen
11/21/2006, 05:13 PM
Yeh' I know that some can get to be large but I think a squamossa or hippopus might be alright and I do have bigger tanks to move it to later so maybe I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.