PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Tanks

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 01:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on where to buy a tank. I am having a problem finding a 40 gallon breeder(36x18x16'').

Petco and Petsmart do not have them, and Doctors Foster & Smith no longer carry them. I did call Aquaticworld in Oconomowoc and they "weren't sure" if they still had one left and are "supposed" to call me back.

Aquarium Pets in Oshkosh can get me one but they want a whopping $111 for it.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

T.J.

Bri Guy
11/14/2006, 01:19 PM
I always buy all my All-glass from Pets Supplies Plus in the northland mall, the price they have is the same price you would get quoted directly from All-glass, acually cheaper cause there is no shipping.

10g are 8.98 and my 30 was $55.00, so it would probalbly be around $70, just a guess.

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8544250#post8544250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bri Guy
I always buy all my All-glass from Pets Supplies Plus in the northland mall, the price they have is the same price you would get quoted directly from All-glass, acually cheaper cause there is no shipping.

10g are 8.98 and my 30 was $55.00, so it would probalbly be around $70, just a guess.

Thanks Bri,

Pet Supplies Plus wants $77 for a 40 gallon breeder, which is fine except the fact it will take 4 weeks for them to get it :-(

Looks like I might be setting my 29H up again!

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 02:31 PM
Nevermind, Petco will price match so I'm getting them to price match Aquatic World's online price of $61.99 :-)

yaitisme
11/14/2006, 03:04 PM
That's a great deal TJ. Have you verified they will price match Aquatic World?

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8545156#post8545156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yaitisme
That's a great deal TJ. Have you verified they will price match Aquatic World?

I spoke with the guy who usually works in the saltwater department at Petco and he said "yes" if their website has a listed price that they will match it. I did this once and got some IO salt for the same price that DrFosterSmith had it listed for on their website.

I will post back tonight and let you know if it worked as I am going to Petco after work.

jmkarcz
11/14/2006, 03:16 PM
Jeff is at 89+ would take a week.

Advanced didn't even answer their phone.

Ben at petco said he has 2-or maybe 3, said 94$

Sue, at the Foster Smith retail store didn't know what it was, and after I explained, said she didn't have one... and would have to order one... Yet...

Dawn fron the catalog line said: "was probably a promo when you ordered them and can't get them any longer"

huh.

And that's just about it... for 2pm tuesday from Green Bay.

If you but the one at Petco, I'll be disappointed you didn't just buy my whole setup... try the WI forum...

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8545259#post8545259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkarcz
Jeff is at 89+ would take a week.

Advanced didn't even answer their phone.

Ben at petco said he has 2-or maybe 3, said 94$

Sue, at the Foster Smith retail store didn't know what it was, and after I explained, said she didn't have one... and would have to order one... Yet...

Dawn fron the catalog line said: "was probably a promo when you ordered them and can't get them any longer"

huh.

And that's just about it... for 2pm tuesday from Green Bay.

If you but the one at Petco, I'll be disappointed you didn't just buy my whole setup... try the WI forum...

Thanks for helping Jason,

I wish I could buy your whole setup. I really need an all wood stand for the area the tank is being moved to. Tiles just wouldn't look right. Don't worry I already printed out huge pictures of your tank from the CD-R you gave me and tried convincing the wife :-)

I haven't heard anything back from the Wisconsin forum. Limpit might build me an Oak stand for the tank(sure wish I was more handy!).

jmkarcz
11/14/2006, 03:24 PM
Jessica from Advanced called back, 19 minutes later, very good job on the follow thru, has one, for 100$.

She also said that there is no current promos going on for tanks, not just them, but from All Glass or the tanks makers, AND that their prices have very recently gone up again.... :(

I'd ride down to Oconomowoc if you want a tag along...

Jason

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8545328#post8545328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkarcz
Jessica from Advanced called back, 19 minutes later, very good job on the follow thru, has one, for 100$.

She also said that there is no current promos going on for tanks, not just them, but from All Glass or the tanks makers, AND that their prices have very recently gone up again.... :(

I'd ride down to Oconomowoc if you want a tag along...

Jason

I think you missed my post that said Petco will price match aquaticworlds price :-)

$61 is a great price for a 40 gallon breeder. The guy at Petco told me the $1/Gallon deal only happens once or twice a year.

jmkarcz
11/14/2006, 04:04 PM
BUY!

EDITED: You know if you HAVE to wait, GlassCages.com has an ACRYLIC 40 gallon that is 36"x28"x13" (think it's the same) for 80$ plus S+H. I'd but that long befor paying someone local for a glass overpriced tank. Then adding the overflow is a breeze.

J

mako56
11/14/2006, 06:15 PM
I just did that deal for my frag tank. Nice light tank.

FlipFlops24/7
11/14/2006, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8545624#post8545624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkarcz
BUY!

EDITED: You know if you HAVE to wait, GlassCages.com has an ACRYLIC 40 gallon that is 36"x28"x13" (think it's the same) for 80$ plus S+H. I'd but that long befor paying someone local for a glass overpriced tank. Then adding the overflow is a breeze.

J

Very interesting. I am going to email them and get a shipping quote on a tank and a stand.

What is the benefit of acrylic over glass other than weight?

jandlms
11/14/2006, 08:12 PM
Easy drilling for overflows, closed loops, etc. Clearer than glass, but can be scrached more easily.
jandlms

jmkarcz
11/14/2006, 08:41 PM
Can be buffed and repaired... if you buy one, still bring it over, The joints are a bit more maticulus to create than glass and silicone. And the overflow will still cost a few $ for the acrylic - unless you want no frills clear...

You can drill the acrylic tank...

I watched wimpy Jon throw a 55 around like I do a 10 gallon...

Acrylic is just plain old forgiving.

besides, look at the sizes listed there... you could order a sump all at once...

J

yaitisme
11/14/2006, 08:44 PM
Where did you find the acrylics on All-Glass's web site?

jmkarcz
11/14/2006, 08:52 PM
Scott... I think you missed it, it was buried in the text...

GlassCages.com

slide down to Acrylic.

Some interesting sizes... this is where my 27 gallon sump came from...

J

mako56
11/14/2006, 09:00 PM
I got the forty had them put in an overflow on one end and it cost me 130 to my door.

yaitisme
11/15/2006, 11:26 AM
Ah, I was on all-glass.com.

FlipFlops24/7
11/20/2006, 06:20 PM
well I got the All-Glass 40 gallon breeder from Petco tonight for $67.99. They matched Aquaticworld. The original price was $107.99 I believe, so that is a great deal.

I was thinking of going with glasscages.com, but when I called them the lady was rude to me so I decided to stick with All-Glass. Plus glasscages was going to charge $40 just to ship it. Thats $120 for acrylic vs. $67.99 I paid for the glass.

yaitisme
11/20/2006, 06:35 PM
Great deal De, which Petco did you buy it from? I got snubbed at both Petco (appleton) and Pet Supplies Plus (appleton) when I tried to price match my 20L price from Aquatic World. Walked out of Petco (posable walked in for the last time too as their prices suck) as they were way overpriced at $39. Didn't make a stink at Pet Supplies Plus as they were only $4-5 dollars more than Aquatic World.

BTW, if you need a stand for that tank I have a 36x18 2x4 frame that I was going to use for myself. It is similar in construction to the one that Briguy (I believe) built for his tank except without the top ledge. The frame only needs to be skinned (with plywood or whatever) and painted. If you're interested let me know.