PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tank build, is it possible??

jnaarnold
11/13/2006, 07:24 PM
I am not new to saltwater aquariums, just new to this site. And what a wonderful site it is...I am very envious. Like so many others on here, I too have the interest of my wife in this fascinating hobby.

Now my question...
Can one build there own tank? Are there suppliers/supplies out there for the braces, solvent and silicone etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated.....oh, and I haven't really decided on glass or acrylic..I'll weight the cost as I go. I would like to stay in the 75 to 90 gallon size with a 48x18" base.

Thanks....John

BrokeColoReefer
11/13/2006, 07:28 PM
If you build your own tank, acrylic is easier to work with but more difficult to "glue". Glass is not so user freindly for custom stuff later so lots of planning needs to happen, but silicon is a fairly easy task compared to acrylic weld. Acryilc is clearer then most glass, but acrylic scratches, glass is harder to scratch but it does still scratch. You can buff the scratch out of acrylic you cant with glass,
if your considerd building your own tank out of acrylic then you need some good tools. A good router and better bits are needed.
Good luck.

BruiseAndy
11/13/2006, 07:41 PM
Be more economical to buy a 75 or 90G. Especially if you are new to acrylic fabrication. Plenty of tank build threads though. Acrylics just had one the other day.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390652