PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Top Off straight from RO-unit

m.wignall2
11/13/2006, 05:48 PM
Hi guys, i'm new on here.

i've been into marine fish keeping for about 6 months now, and have been a member of fish geeks ever since. I am currently working on a new set-up, my fish geeks post can be found here:- http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=57006

i have a 50GPD RO unit with a 3 gallon storage tank and auto shut off, i have run a 1/4" RO line from the storage tank to the area where my new tank and sump is going to be.

i need to find a way to connect it directly to my glass sump for auto-top off.

either a simple mechanical float valve or float switches and solenoids etc.

has anyone already done this?
any ideas what parts to use? and where i can get them from in the UK?

cheers

m.wignall2

Fishbulb2
11/13/2006, 07:43 PM
I've heard this is actually a bad idea as it will cycle the RO system on and off often and for very short intervals. I know you don't want to hear it but it's a better idea to have a bucket for you auto topoff that you refill every few days.
FB

Gluestick
11/13/2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it stinks, but it's true. I wanted to do the same thing. :-(

Jasontkd
11/13/2006, 08:58 PM
bad idea

kgross
11/13/2006, 11:29 PM
Since you have the 3 gallon tank the TDS creep should not be a problem since the RO will run for a 1/2 gallon or so at a time rather than just a few drops.

Now this is very dangerous, if your float valve/switch fails you will flood your tank with freshwater and cause lots of problems, but I have used this for years without any problems (float valves).

If you want to go the float valve route you can get a kent or Corallife float valve and mount it in the sump with the RO line feeding into it. If you want a seloniod route, you will need a float switch and a seloniod valve. This will cost more than the float vavle setup, but you can also connect it to a timer so it is a lot harder to flood the tank.

Kim

m.wignall2
11/14/2006, 07:34 AM
Hi guys,

cheers for your replies,

i am almost definatly going to go down the float switch and solenoid valve route.

i have read a lot about TDS creep and the effects of keep switching RO units on and off, but due to me having a 3 gallon pressurised storage tank and auto shut-off kit, my ro unit only switches on after approx 1/2 - 1 gallon has been removed from the storage tank.

i will have 2 float switches connected in series for the high level (if one float sticks the other should switch the power off)

and one float switch for low level,

as the water level drops down to the bottom level float switch it will turn the solenoid on, when the level gets to the top 2 flost switches they'll turn the solenoid off.

i'll set the distance between high level and low level so that it tops about 1 or maybe 1 1/2 gallons in one hit. this way it'll probably only top-up once per 24 Hours.

anyone done this before? or know of any threads/web pages that have an diy for this?

anyone know where i can get float switches and a 12VDC solenoid valve (with 1/4" push fit connections) from here in the UK?

cheers for your help guys,

much appreciated.