PDA

View Full Version : Red Algae Problem?

GT
11/13/2006, 05:01 PM
Well I have some red algae growing, more than what I expected. I dont think the tank is over run by it, but I guess I was expecting more green!!! The tank is just 2 months old, so I know i should have a little run in with algae, but is there any reason for the red? and is it harder to deal with? My water parimeters are ok, other than clcium a little low, but I just want to get some opinions. I am adding 2 more 1500 seio's this week. I bought 2 of the seio contollers. I already have 2 1500's in there, so I will be playing around with that this week. I noticed some stagnet areas of flow in a couple spots. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

sir_dudeguy
11/13/2006, 06:34 PM
Is it cyano? (slimey looking). If so..just a normal new tank phase for the most part, but if you have nitrates and/or phosphates, they'll cause it. Just get as random of flow as you possibly can and dont get stuck with dead areas.

Normally if you keep your levels and stuff right it will go away on its own.

saltman123
11/13/2006, 11:58 PM
My tank is going on about 2 months and about a week or two ago I started to get red algae. At first I had green hair algae, but only on the back wall of my tank. The Red was growing on the rock, and a piece of rock on the ground that spread to the sand.

I grabbed a turkey baster and it is now gone in the main areas :)