PDA

View Full Version : Disemboweling Coralife

Tightrope
11/13/2006, 01:30 PM
I have a 4' Coralife fixture, and two 36" Coralife fixtures. If I were to acquire another 24" light, could I then take them all apart and mount them in a canopy?

My 60g project is sunk, because of a glass drilling mishap. I intend to make my reef out of my 125g instead. The tank itself already has two 36" Coralife PC fixtures on it, but that takes it to only 3wpg. I had a 48" Coralife fixture for the 60g. All the fixtures won't sit on the tank (not enough room, given how big the fixtures are). I'd prefer to use what I have for cost reasons, but if it won't work, I'll do something else.

Can you take Coralifes apart and put them in the hood, or should I do something else? (Not MH...I don't want MH.) Thanks!

30mini
11/13/2006, 01:46 PM
Well, why not take all your ballasts, and just run T5's? You don't want MH, so, just use the ballast for the PC's and use them for T5's! That way you can retro them into your hood easily.

Keelay
11/14/2006, 12:57 AM
I had a coralife lunar aqualight. 24" I had to replace a ballast once. Everthing does comes out of these. The ballasts switches etc. It would take some rewiring and you'd probably need to order a few bulb mounts, but It would be relatively easy to just take out the guts and toss the metal enclosure. It's definately doable. Sounds like you already have bulbs.

If it were me and the T5 route was attractive to me (as 30mini is suggesting), I would still want to get the life out of my CF's because I'm a cheapskate. Maybe plan the T5 conversion as part of a progressive design. Make the CF's work for now then as you replace the bulbs convert to T5's sockets.

Tightrope
11/14/2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks, guys! That's a really good idea. I didn't realize the ballasts could run the T5, too. I think I'll start looking into what I'd need to do this, then start acquiring the bulb mounts and whatnots slowly. The PCs will be fine for live rock and a couple fish til I have everything I need to gut the things and convert them to T5, then I can swap it out.

I had no idea this was an option. Terrific idea! Thank you!

kimoy
11/14/2006, 01:27 AM
this is interesting. i just have a question for you guys out there. if i read this right, you can run T5 bulbs on a PC ballasts, right? i have a 96wtts pc and want to convert it into a T5. what bulb can i use. i want to use the highest wattage i can get. and it is a 48 inch hood. how about a metal halides. if i have now a 150 halides and want to upgrade to a 250, do i need to change my wirings too?

Pyrrhus
11/14/2006, 04:01 AM
PC bulb are T-5.

perpetual98
11/14/2006, 12:15 PM
Dude! If you're going to gut them and toss the stuff you don't need, I'll take the metal housing and ends if they're scrap! :)

Eric