PDA

View Full Version : Nudibranch ID??

Edgar VM
07/03/2002, 10:48 AM
Hi

I know is almost impossible to identify a creature only with a picture, but anyway I wanted to give it a try. I found this guy last saturday. Is around half an inch in length, completely white (and cute :) ) I think is a nudibranch(spelling?) but that's as far as I can get in his ID
Any ideas?

Edgar VM
07/03/2002, 11:07 AM
Hi

here is this guy again

rshimek
07/03/2002, 01:32 PM
Hi Edgar,

Well, yes indeedy, it is a nudibranch.

It is in the sub-order doridacea, known as dorid nudibranchs. These are characterized by a relatively smooth back and a tuft of gills surrounding the anus which opens on the dorsal surface at the midline of the animal near the posterior end. The gills are withdrawn here.

Unfortunately, there are lot of white dorids in the sea. Without some more detailed photos identification will be impossible. You might check out the Sea Slug Forum (http://www.seaslugforum.net/) for some images that look like yours.

Dorids are predators, and generally eat one of three kinds of animals: sponges, tunicates, or bryozoans. They are often very particular about their diet and eat only one or a very few species of prey. It is unlikely you will be able to maintain your animal for a long time unless your tank happens to be rich in those foods.

This link takes you to some information about nudibranchs (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/may/wb/default.asp) in general.

:frog:

Edgar VM
07/03/2002, 03:04 PM
Hi Ron,

"U da Mon" :)

I'll take a look at the links you suggest, and see what i can find.
I don't have any idea about when could this guy have arived to the tank. It has been a loooong time since I put a new piece of LR in the aquarium, so, I think he has at least 8 months there.
In regards his diet, well i have some incrusting sponges (white) and some liver sponges. Im almost 100% sure I haven't seen any tunicate (nice "two end bags" right?) or Bryozoos. I migth be wrong of course.

Thanks again
edgar

rshimek
07/04/2002, 09:06 AM
Hi Edgar,

The sponge is likely the food source, generally our tanks don't support either tunicates or bryozoans very well.

By the way, :D, it isn't a he - all nudibranchs are hermaphroditic.

:frog:

Edgar VM
07/04/2002, 11:05 AM
Hi Ron,

I've sent a mail and some pictures to the guys at the seaslug forum. Hope thay can help me. I haven't had enough time to take a look to their species list and pictures though.

In regards the sex of the nudis (and snails) yup, now I remember sex among them is a matter of "100% satisfaction" to both sides :D

regards
Edgar

PS BTw the second link you suggested me didn't work :(

Edgar VM
07/05/2002, 11:39 PM
Hi Ron

I have seen 8 more of these guys crawling in my tank
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

These are much more smaller than the one in the picture, around 0.5 cm ( almost 1/4 of an inch)

So I think they feel really fine in the tank so far I haven´t seen any damage to my corals or to any other invertebrate,. I hope these guys doesn´t become a pest.

will try harder of get a positive ID

Edgar