PDA

View Full Version : Top

carlos_fb
11/13/2006, 01:57 AM
I know it's better to leave the tank open with no glass top or hood to allow better gas exchange but since I want to use my canopy and there isn't much space between my lights and the water I'm going to use a top. Anyway I was wondering if I should have it made of acrylic or glass. I know regular acrylic won't work because it tends to bow with heat.

Any suggestions?

clkwrk
11/13/2006, 02:11 AM
I have run MH bulbs 5" of the water with no problems ever.

But if you are going to use something use low iron glass so you don't lose as much light.

Things to think of are heat and the lose of ability to evaporate .

Have you thought about adding on to your canopy or cutting holes in the top so the top of your fixtures can stick out? Or if using reflectors cut the top then make a box that sits over the reflectors and covers the holes.

carlos_fb
11/13/2006, 02:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8533910#post8533910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk
I have run MH bulbs 5" of the water with no problems ever.

But if you are going to use something use low iron glass so you don't lose as much light.

Things to think of are heat and the lose of ability to evaporate .

Have you thought about adding on to your canopy or cutting holes in the top so the top of your fixtures can stick out? Or if using reflectors cut the top then make a box that sits over the reflectors and covers the holes.

I didn't really understand that, do you have pictures?

alien4fish1
11/13/2006, 11:21 AM
do have any pix??:confused:

clkwrk
11/13/2006, 07:36 PM
I will dig up a few.....

carlos_fb
11/14/2006, 01:45 AM
anybody?

carlos_fb
11/18/2006, 12:42 PM
bump

carlos_fb
11/20/2006, 05:00 PM
So nobody uses a top?

999sterling
11/20/2006, 07:09 PM
I have used tops on my freshwater tanks. Acrylic bends even without heat! It just doesn't hold over the span unless it is thick. If you go for thick acrylic, you might as well spend the $ for glass IMO. You will get algae growth on the down facing side of the top. I think glass is easier the clean the algae off. Just haul the top into the tub and scrape with a flat razor blade.

You will have to deal with heat in a SW tank. I didn't have to worry about that on my FW. I haven't tried a top on a SW tank. I prefer canopy's or a hanging pendant. Much better for heat dissipation. IMO.