PDA

View Full Version : funny home depot story

staticx
11/12/2006, 10:38 PM
So I went to home depot to get what I needed to build a stand for my 100 gallon. Spent three hours having things cut, picking out everything, tracking down home depot employees. Got to the counter whipped out the old credit card. Took 6 steps to the door and realized *** am I doing I can go but one for less then this. Put the breaks on turned around befor I even left the store went to the return counter, had the lady at the counter tell me I cant return cut wood. after 45 min of fighting with a manager and then his manager got it returned. Walked out the door into the car a broken man. Only to go back to home depot the next day with a revised plan that was less money, and do the same all over. Only this time I didnt return it

maro1
11/12/2006, 10:43 PM
Sorry, but I don't think thats funny. There is no way I would have let you return that once it was cut for you.

:)

Mar

staticx
11/12/2006, 11:02 PM
oh booh hoo

gmasaru
11/12/2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a waste of time...for everyone involved.

maro1
11/12/2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry. your right. Home Depot has alot of money! let them take the loss. They'll cover by raising prices.

Mar

Indermark
11/12/2006, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8532978#post8532978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticx
oh booh hoo

This is sad.

bad santa
11/12/2006, 11:43 PM
I would have told you tough luck if I were the MGR. at HD. Its not the HD's fault you didnt think out you plan correctly.

TropTrea
11/12/2006, 11:52 PM
While I realize that HD will cut things for you to size I do believe that they charge extra for it and in our HD there is sign right there that ones wood is cut it cannot be returned.

When ever I do a project I get the material in stock lenghts and do the cutting at home. Sure I end up with some extra material but then on my next project I already have something in stock to start working on it.

Presently I'm in the process if building an all oak stand and canopy. there will be a 40 gallon breeder on the bottom as a Fish and Live Rock tank and on top Ill have a full 120 gallon reef. All the filteration will be in my basement fish room directly below this tank as well as several grow out tanks.

Dennis

Tang Salad
11/12/2006, 11:54 PM
It's funny that you think that is funny.

I do wonder what lies you had to tell them to allow you to return the wood.

Keelay
11/12/2006, 11:59 PM
I agree. You only got away with it by being a persistent complaining customer. Plan it out next time. Down to each part and the cost. Sticker shock should happen before the purchase.

staticx
11/13/2006, 02:37 AM
Oh god talk about the cry baby bunch

tonyscoots84
11/13/2006, 02:37 AM
not funny at all.. i would of told you to take ur wood home and build an arc (now that is funny)... me as a manager, would of positively not have returned the cut wood no exceptions..

lllosingit
11/13/2006, 02:50 AM
So where is the funny story as the title stated.:rolleyes:
Sad Sad Sad

lessthanlights
11/13/2006, 02:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8533960#post8533960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticx
Oh god talk about the cry baby bunch

it's not a matter of being a cry baby- it's about taking responsibility for your actions. other people/stores should not have to pay for you ignorance and misplanning. it’s downright rude to force them.

Malifluous
11/13/2006, 02:56 AM
This is one "funny " story that you should have kept to yourself.

staticx
11/13/2006, 02:59 AM
Oh by the way i had a whole two 4x4's cut only 2 cuts sorry i dont feel bad for the multi billion dollar home depot who over charges the sht out of people and what i thought was funny was how much of a idiot i was

Keelay
11/13/2006, 03:27 AM
If you know they overcharge, why would you shop there?

Catharsis70
11/13/2006, 09:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8534020#post8534020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticx
Oh by the way i had a whole two 4x4's cut only 2 cuts sorry i dont feel bad for the multi billion dollar home depot who over charges the sht out of people and what i thought was funny was how much of a idiot i was

Priced get jacked up because of theft and frivolous returns.........

BrokeColoReefer
11/13/2006, 09:31 AM
I hate customers like you. I dont work in HD, i work in a family owned store. Guess what, when people continue to get away with that prices go up for everyone. Whats even better is you spent 45 minutes figting over some cheap lumber..

How much total time did you waste fighting for a return, going home and re figure, going back to HD and sart over. All this for 2 cuts on a 4x4??? WOW i am never shocked to see what people will do to save a buck. i agree with your personal assement of the situation.. (the idiot part)

durango_doug
11/13/2006, 09:48 AM
I'm sure you ruined somebody's perfectly good day.

ODOG
11/13/2006, 09:53 AM
Not only do prices go up when people cheat the system, but sometimes extra advantages/features get taken away. For instance if enough people are allowed to return cut wood, Home Depot will stop offering this service.

doa247
11/13/2006, 10:01 AM
I work for home depot and you sir are the reason I hate cutting lumber for customers. There is no such thing as returning cut lumber!! The only reason you were able to return it, was because you found a weak manager. All around the saws in HD there are signs stating there are no exact cuts using our saws. These machines are for ripping lumber to make it possible for regular folks to put lumber in there car safely, not for building projects in the store and simply assembling them at home. I assume you are a younger individual who thinks that little old me I don’t affect a huge company. Just remember there is a growing epidemic of wining people like you who get catered to there whole life by retail stores and think for some reason if they spend a little money in that particular establishment that it owes them something. Little known facts about home depot is in recent years they have taken away yearly stock options from Assistant Managers, and also in recent months have stopped Tuition reimbursement for college kids just working there part time. You’re telling me you have nothing to do with anything well Home depot use to be a great place to work and slowly but surely its getting worse most of the problem lies with our CEO but remember your actions affect everyone around you!!

Sorry I’m fired up about this one

durango_doug
11/13/2006, 10:06 AM
That's what I meant to say.

revenge53142
11/13/2006, 10:41 AM
wasting peoples time

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh wait thats not funny

coralnut99
11/13/2006, 10:54 AM
I remember when I was in high school I sold shoes at Sears. One day an incredibly obnoxious lady stormed in with her kid. She shoved a beaten up pair of sneakers in front of me asking how we could possibly sell such garbage that didn't even last a week! The front toe areas looked like it had been sandblasted. The department manager wouldn't return them, saying the kid abused them. They all stormed up to customer service with the kid and beat up sneaker in tow. While the dept. manager, customer service manager, and the ticked off mom were haggling the whole thing out, I just asked the kid what the heck he did to his sneakers. Without hesitating, he just said, "well, the brakes on my bike don't work, so I just drag my feet on the ground, and it works great!"

My manager told me that his depatment would get hit for all those crazy returns. It costs money. It's not about being all goody-goody, it's the fact that we all pay for that kind of stuff. When you have a leg to stand on, with defects or workmanship, you should get what you paid for, absolutely. But when you screw up, why should I pay for it, or some store manager who just has to keep someone from causing a scene in his store? My son is with me every trip I make to HD and just about everyplace else. I couldn't possibly rationalize to him, what you did.

Yes, the mom got a new pair of sneakers after about an hour of back and forth yappin' and fingerpointing.

Alphabet
11/13/2006, 12:20 PM
Sometimes things should be thought out more carefully. A change in plans is going to happen from time to time but that is why we plan first. As previously stated there are to many people that make mistakes and whine enough to get their way, I AGREE NOT FUNNY! :thumbdown

Icehockey_whino
11/13/2006, 01:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8534020#post8534020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticx

I agree with you , I think its pretty funny and I quote "how much of an idiot I was"

By the way i didn't feel this way until I became a crybaby

TropTrea
11/13/2006, 01:20 PM
Okay now lets get to actual project. Your guilding a stand for how big of a tank using 4X4's?

What size actualy were the peices that you returned? And what size peices are you using in there place.

Then could you have taken your original plan and modified it so that the peices you already ordered would work out for you?

Dennis

BrokeColoReefer
11/13/2006, 01:23 PM
he has a couple of threads going on already. Look for "cinderblock".

AVALover5498
11/13/2006, 03:57 PM
So because home depot has loads of money it's ok for you to cheat them out of it? All i've got to say is that it wasn't a funny story and i feel sorry for you. You should have thought out your stand before you went to get the lumber. I wouldn't have given you your money back...the only words out of my mouth would have been "Get out."

xtrstangx
11/13/2006, 04:25 PM
Wow,

You really must have come across a nice employee. Most people (myself included) would just walk away after 15 minutes than deal with someone of your intelligence.

Do you think you can go to a restaurant, buy a steak, put all your steak sauce/etc on it, then say "oh nevermind.. I could cook a steak at home for cheaper, I want to return this".

Theexp
11/13/2006, 04:52 PM
wowww, I recently went to lowes and bought a bunch of lumber to build a stand for my 40 gallon breeder i was planning, and i had it all cut, and i saw a 65 gallon acrylic tank for sale for $30 dollars. i shoudla just "returned" all the cut and notched lumber. Saved myself 30, 40 dollars....
I can't believe they let you return the precut lumber and that you had the nerve to try to return it... Also its not right at all to "get some money" back from the huge coorporation becuase they worked thier way that large, it wasn't one day there were no homedepots and the next there was hundreds across the country...

smilby36
11/13/2006, 05:42 PM
instead of fighting for 45 minutes, you should have spent 45 minutes planning things out. Your type of people are why I refuse to work in retail EVER again. If they overcharge then don't shop and then complain.

Steverino
11/13/2006, 05:54 PM
jeeez....sounds like a lynching is brewing here....

Icehockey_whino
11/13/2006, 06:19 PM
By the way... I have home depot stock in my portfolio. Therefore you were not stealing from "the big company" you were stealing from me. I'm going out to find a solid tree... ( tongue in cheek... of course)

GSMguy
11/13/2006, 08:14 PM
how embarrassed are you now should have kept that one to yourself eh
i dont usually brag about stealing, just my hate crimes

woz9683
11/13/2006, 08:50 PM
Wherever did you get the idea that HD rips people off in the first place. The reason they're all over the place is because they give great deals. I've worked for a small lumber company in the past and the only reasons they stay in business with an HD in town are customer loyalty over many years and customer service. They certainly don't stay in business because HD is charging people too much. What a joke!

Oh, and aside from robbing the big, evil corporation, you probably screwed over the employee who took the time to cut all that lumber too, because like doa247 said, they really aren't supposed to cut whole projects like that. He went out of his way for you and you took advantage of it.

Gluestick
11/13/2006, 08:53 PM
Must be pretty embarrased, still hasn't had the guts to reply.

GreyHawk1968
11/13/2006, 09:36 PM
If you can't afford a few dollars for some wood , which I always find a use for later, how in the heck are you going to afford keeping a reef tank?
Oh and by the way,next time you go to HD to buy something don't complain about the rising prices.

BeanAnimal
11/13/2006, 11:20 PM

Deep thinker I see! Your actions are the reason why prices at big box stores keep rising. I imagine your the same guy who buys tools and returns them after using them once to finish a project. No harm no foul right? Go stand at the return desk at HD for an entire day. Watch the literaly HUNDREDS of returns they process every day, most of them being tools that were used and returned or goods that were damaged by the end user and stuffed back into the box. Another large source of returns is people who buy stuff on a whim or without thinking... tear it open and detroy the packaging, then take it back the next day when they change their minds.... In the end a LARGE portion of the prices WE ALL PAY are due to the actions of people like yourself. Funny story?

Hampton
11/13/2006, 11:26 PM
Man,

This forum is BRUTAL. You guys are right, there's no doubt, but after 10 or 15 posts, I think he gets it. No wonder I do most of my posts at my little, neighborhood (internet -ly speaking) forum. This is the place for high tech information, no doubt. But, it's like going to NYC for vacation. All of this is in good fun, but, there's a little truth to it to.

Oh, by the way, What were you thinking? Wood is free? Their time is free? Jeesh! :>) Remember, all funny stories start with a Priest, a Nun, and a hooker, or something like that.

Speaking of, a Priest, a Nun, and a hooker walk into a bar. The bartender says, "What is this.... a joke or something?" (That's it.) Look at my dam project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (90 gallon custom...)

jdieck
11/13/2006, 11:48 PM

So, what is next, shoplifting big stores because they have a lot of money?:rolleyes:

lllosingit
11/13/2006, 11:48 PM
Now that's funny you just had to add your 2 cents even after you said he gets it after 10 or 15 posts....It's just to hard to resist isn't it! :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:
I love this forum but sometimes people do things that just don't make sense and you have to say something.
He's getting so much greif because of this thread and about four others he started on his cinder block stand asking the very same questions.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8540936#post8540936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hampton
Man,

This forum is BRUTAL. You guys are right, there's no doubt, but after 10 or 15 posts, I think he gets it.
Oh, by the way, What were you thinking? Wood is free? Their time is free? Jeesh!

GSMguy
11/13/2006, 11:52 PM
i thought about people hounding him at his cinder block thread thats too much i think lol funny story

BeanAnimal
11/13/2006, 11:53 PM
it could get worse.... what happens when the guy needs a job and HD is the only place hiring... in the wood department :)

Gluestick
11/14/2006, 12:12 AM
that would be like a horror movie. i can imagine that guy who does movie comercials with the deep voice like, in a world where there are no jobs.... one man's struggles lead him back to the dreaded wood department of HD.....only he screwed them before....coming this summer to theaters everywhere.....HOME DEPOT LIES starring Keanu Reeves as the wood theif!"

allstar.h2o
11/14/2006, 12:16 AM
Which exciting new thread will you vote for Thread Of The Month?

1. funny home depot story

2. cinder block question

3. cinder block stand building as we speak

4. cinder block stand questions??????

5. stand wuestion

lessthanlights
11/14/2006, 12:24 AM
ok ok ok i think we've all had our fun and all agree that there have been some stupid posts in the past . . . . but it might be time to layoff. i think the lesson has been learned. . . . . we don't want to scare anyone away

BrokeColoReefer
11/14/2006, 12:28 AM
BRUTAL!!

For readers of this thread that want to avoide this kind of grief.

1) dont post threads like this one.
2) when someone helps you, dont start another thread to get a different opinion, much less three.
3) say thank you every once in a while when someone gives you good advice. some thing like this, "thank you for your ideas and caring for my saftey, but i plan on doing it the way i planned originally. "
4) be humble, people are wrong all the time. It takes character to admit when you screw up, this thread was a big screw up, admit it and people will leave you alone.

feel free to add to the list....

spence15610
11/14/2006, 12:39 AM
heck, I can't believe I just waisted my RC reading time reading this thread

Fishgovno
11/14/2006, 01:56 AM
:D I need some wood cut anyone have some time?:D

Now this is just funny,I have never seen any one get there pee-pee slaped like this wow (nice).

Cinder block I got some wood cut for you,or for your backside (LOL)

staticx
11/14/2006, 03:56 AM
ha ha holy sht this thread took off well maybe you should all go over to my diy canopy thread and tear me a new a hole over there should be fun for ya and just think i even went to home depot and bought my stuff lol it was one thing when a few people were ranting but now i just cruise the thread to see how many people are still at it

Fishgovno
11/14/2006, 04:22 AM
LMAO
Ok if you say so!:lol:

Norboo
11/14/2006, 06:48 AM
I’m willing to bet that many of the people that posted have many similar stories in the closet.

Point is well taken. Think it’s time to move on.

staticx
11/14/2006, 06:49 AM
50 something replys and almost 500 looked so far
wow
You all know they have a scrap bin at home depot where they resell pre cut wood. Okay new plan Im going to home depot this time I am going to grab the camera. I will have some wood cut in the back bring it to the front pay for it then turn right around a return it but this time i will get pics of employees face maybe even take a little video who knows

staticx
11/14/2006, 07:14 AM
up to 1100 views

Icehockey_whino
11/14/2006, 08:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8542126#post8542126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticx
50 something replys and almost 500 looked so far
wow
You all know they have a scrap bin at home depot where they resell pre cut wood. Okay new plan Im going to home depot this time I am going to grab the camera. I will have some wood cut in the back bring it to the front pay for it then turn right around a return it but this time i will get pics of employees face maybe even take a little video who knows

Yep... I think he has learned his lesson. Come on people, lay off

coralnut99
11/14/2006, 08:17 AM
Mods, Please put this thread out of its' misery...............PLEASE!

brad23
11/14/2006, 09:32 AM
LOL this is great

BeanAnimal
11/14/2006, 09:55 AM
Guys like that never learn a lesson. They don't see what they did as wrong. They see it as funny and the rest of us as wrong. The FUNNY PART is that in todays society, you get a handfull of people willing to stick up for such actions and show concern for the self proclaimed idiots feelings. There was a recent thread where a guy wanted to "buy" a dozen brutes from HD, move his tank and then return the containers. He did not see the harm, nor did 1/3 of the people who stuck up for him.

My question would be WHO is parenting these people! I surely was not brought up to think steeling was funny or acceptable. You people who keep saying "enough is enough" give guys like staticx a pat on the back and encourage his behavior. His recent posts about doing it again and taking photos coupled with the fact that he is amused by the attention... well it show how childish he is. Maybe if MORE people pointed that out, he would grow up.

Matrexz
11/14/2006, 10:39 AM
No matter how much you point it out some people will never grow up, they will go through life feeling that they are owed everything and that they can do anything they want without any negative re-percussions. The reason why is parents don't beat their kids' butts anymore. They just tell them to go sit in a corner or go to their room.

Fishbulb2
11/14/2006, 10:51 AM
yes but on the other hand, there isn't much left to get out of this thread. It should be laid to rest. :-(

FB

GSMguy
11/14/2006, 12:21 PM
this is a much funnier story now that we all got so mad

Driftwood
11/14/2006, 01:55 PM
People don't grow up because someone else wants them too. It will probably happen on it's own.

Staticx: I can see you don't think what you did was wrong. That may change one day, but until then you should know that most people will not take kindly to a report that you ripped off their favorite store. I mean, HD is the DIYers home away from home. Mostly because we spend so much time looking for things they don't stock...

bad santa
11/14/2006, 02:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8544601#post8544601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Driftwood
I mean, HD is the DIYers home away from home. Mostly because we spend so much time looking for things they don't stock...

This is one of the best statements on this thread.:)

ODOG
11/14/2006, 02:13 PM
I'll tell you guys a funny (not really) Home Depot story. My wife and I had just purchased our new house and wanted to redo a carpet floor with laminate (the fake wood looking stuff). The guy who worked in that department explained to me some techniques to make it a little easier. I guess I didn't quite get it, so I went back when I had a problem. He tried to explain again and I must have looked kind of stupid, so he said do you know where such and such quickie mart is....meet me there at 4:30. I did and he followed me over to my house where he put down half my floor. After he put down a couple of rows I tried to get him to stop but he just kept going.

I wonder if the guy that was beat into submission with your verbal assualt would be willing to help out the next moran like me or you that walks through the door?

beerguy
11/14/2006, 02:14 PM
Closed also.