PDA

View Full Version : So how long did it take

AshleyKay
11/12/2006, 10:05 PM
for you guys to feel like you had got the hang of things? Im trying to read everything I can about keeping a reef tank...I was hoping to just start buying what supplies I need and then sometime in the next year actually start putting it together. The more I read the more confused about it all I get though...its getting a tad bit overwhelming. I had to stay offline for a while because it was starting to feel like an overload on my brain! I am also fining myself getting very discouraged. Does it take very long to get the hang of things though? Just curious if the way I am feeling, and all the confusion is normal =)

ACBlinky
11/12/2006, 10:21 PM
You're learning about chemistry, lighting, plumbing, electricity, biology, and more - all at the same time. On top of that, there's no single way to be successful in this hobby, so you're reviewing many people's experiences trying to find what works for you. IMO the confusion is completely normal, and we've all gone through it. Take your time, and keep reading until the fog begins to clear. Once you've got a basic grasp, the next step in learning will come from actually putting a system together, and then through tank husbandry. I've been keeping FW for about sixteen years and started planning for SW more than two years ago; I still spend hours every day reading and learning. The wonderful thing about reefing is that no matter how much you know, there will always be more to learn.

T Man
11/12/2006, 10:40 PM
Hang in there Ashley, the rewards will far out weigh the hours of research, I've been doing the "reef' thing for over twenty years now and I am still learning. There is along road ahead of all of us in this hobby, that is why I chose reefkeeping.
When you finally decide to jump into it with both feet, don't be intimidated by some of the obstacles that you will meet along the way. Algae blooms, bacteria outbreaks and unhealthy specimens that seem to be destined to fail in your aquarium. Do not let that hold you back from one of the most beautiful and rewarding hobbies that is within your capacity to achieve, fight the good fight and learn from your mistakes, and if you have any problems or questions that arise- feel free to put the wealth of knowledge here at Reef Central to use! And Welcome Aboard! Tinman

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 11:47 PM
Cheerio! Don't get discouraged! We bought a book called (something like) the Simple guide to Marie Aquariums and that gave us time to chew and digest. Also lots of visits to reef central and several LFS to see the stuff in action. Here are a few tips from a recent newbe- if I may...
1. Come up with a plan of what you want and a wish list (if you wish a reef tank some things are better not to skimp on now, like a skimmer.)
2. RESEARCH! Helps you avoid things like getting a fish that you grow really attached to and then find out he would eat all of the corals you want to get.
3. Come up with a budget- look to your local clubs and reef central (DIY too) and some of the LFS that you can buy used stuff from- (tanks and lights are lots cheaper used-just be careful)
4. Ask lots of questions, just go slow, and have fun!

Everyone has lots to offer on RC and it is a great experience. We have learned by doing but tired to plan ahead enough not learn at the expense of our livestock. It isn't as hard as it first appears. Good luck!

Vitaly
11/13/2006, 12:17 AM
Another thing to do is see if there are any fellow marine/reef tank people in your community. Check the local group forums for members. Having somebody down the street or around the corner with experience can be a great resource.

I was fortunate to have one of the founding members of RC living down the road from me...to help me get started, show me how things work and answer questions in person.

saltman123
11/13/2006, 01:29 AM
I was very patient and waited months until I jumped into the hobby. I was waiting for summer to end and then I made the jump. In that 4 or 5 month period I read about 3 books, and scoured the forums.

You truly don't learn until you get a tank. Everything I read taught me enough to feel confident. Its been almost 2 months now and I am learning first hand every single day.

In a nutshell these are a few of the steps in the low down of what I've learned. Keep in mind there is more to it, but these are a few of the things:

Decide on a tank, lights, and filtration. This was one of the harder things to decide on. I went with an all in one 12 gallon Aquapod. Soon after you will need live rock, and live sand. You will need to let this cycle and sit without any fun stuff for a good few weeks. In this process you will start testing for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Once Ammonia and Nitrate get near zero, your tank is about cycled.

From there you can start adding things slowly, and need to start testing for a few other things.

PATIENCE seems to be the number 1 recipe to it all.

An exciting ride for sure.

Vanquishxxxx
11/13/2006, 01:46 AM
i think that doing a fish only with live rock for a few months is a good starting point whil you get wat you need to start a reef. The maintance and room for error is alot more on a fish only tank with Live rock and a good starting point. I knew nothing about saltwater tanks and slowly started a fish only tank with LR and then after about 6 months i went to a reef.

archer8681
11/13/2006, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty new also. I purchased my 90 gal RR tank about 6 months ago. I am just now getting my equipment ordered and my tank setup. I have learned a lot reading though the different threads on RC and the members are all very helpful. Post questions, you will get answers!! Good luck in building your tank!

TekCat
11/13/2006, 04:06 PM
Learning curve never ends. I was under impression that I have things under control after a year in this hobby. As it turns out I know nearly nothing :) Granted, you get crash courses here on RC on chemistry, fluid dynamics, physics, biology; and practical courses on plumbing, maintanance, etc.... There is sooo much to learn and learn and learn... ... I am hooked on learning :) and I hope you get hooked too!

blackheart
11/13/2006, 04:12 PM
Just remember this while you are learning if you think you know everything you have no I dea whats going on if your tank has no problem your not paying attention and if you give up now you will never get to experience the best hobby out there

good luck, buy one thing at a time, and pace yourself just because there is a better product doesn't mean you need it. Well not now at least ;)

aquarius77
11/13/2006, 04:12 PM
It seems overwheling at first but you will quickly get a handle on things.
Dont let the varity of methods and opinions deter or confuse you, in the end its not a hard hobby, it just takes time.