PDA

View Full Version : lengthen the teeth in an acrylic overflow box

johns
11/12/2006, 09:27 PM
I have a black acrylic overflow box with teeth already cut in. The voids are about 1/4" spaces between teeth. I'd like to use something to cut them down another 0.25 - 0.5 inches to lower the water level in the tank slightly. I have to be careful because the box is already installed in place in the tank.

What's the best thing to use?

I have a dremel tool. Is there a good cutting or grinding wheel I can use to do this?

NanoReefWanabe
11/12/2006, 11:36 PM
i just used my dremel with a Rotozip type bit in it...worked like a charm...no big chips no cracking...my dremel is digitally adjustable speed one..i set it to 35000rpm and started cutting...not sure how well it will work with water in the tank though...there was piles of little pieces flying around everywhere...

but it worked really clean..

johns
11/12/2006, 11:42 PM
There's no water yet, so that's ok. I just meant it's all assembled and glued into place, that's all.

Could you explain a little more about what a Rotozip type bit is? If I just look for that name, will I find it? I guess if you could tell me what it is normally used for, maybe I can find something similar.

NanoReefWanabe
11/13/2006, 08:35 AM
yeah the Name "Rotozip" is actually the brand name of the product

i believe they only make one type of bit...but others such as mastercraft, jobmate and dremel all have there own version...(which is exactly the same)

it looks very similar to a drill bit about 1/8" in diameter, however the flutes are more twisted and look more like a spiral then anything else, they are kinda flared out wen compared to a standard drill bit...but none the less look very similar..

a google search should work for you or just go to your local hardware store they should carry them if they have dremels/ rotary tools..

they are commonly used for cutting ceramic tiles i believe..but can be used for pretty much anything..

johns
11/13/2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks. My dremer came with 2 different bits that sound a little like what you are saying. One is specific for drywall and another is maybe for ceramic tile. I'll probably just go to the hardware store whewre I got the dremel and look at some of the other bits too. I tought maybe they have one for acrylic or plastic.

So you didnt get any melting of the acrylic while you were using the dremel to cut it down?

Any other pointers?