PDA

View Full Version : tips on acrylic buffing

11/12/2006, 05:03 PM
The lady at the lfs told me when i bought the buffing kit to make sure to buff in circle motions. the directions said you should not do this.

I have seen some improvement, but not even close to perfect.
my main question is how do you know when to change sand paper?

twon8
11/12/2006, 05:52 PM
what are you trying to do?
how bad are the scratches?

novus products work very well imo.

Freed
11/12/2006, 05:58 PM
Horizontal buffing is best.

flyyyguy
11/12/2006, 07:45 PM
The lady at the lfs was wrong.

HGow you do it is you find the highest grit possible that will take out the scratches.

You rub across the scratch in one direction (back and forth is fine to but stay on the same line)until the scratch is covered up by your new scratches.....then you take the next grit up and go a different direction covering up the scratches you previously made. This is how you know you are ready to go to the next grit and in the process take as little acrylic off as possible to get the job done and minimize the risk of distortion.

You keep on doing this until you get to 8000 grit and then you can finiush it off with a liquid buffer OR continue on until 12000 grit which will give you perfect clarity. The sandpaper pads can be used on the inside of a stocked tank but the liquid cannot.

Also, you want to keep spraying it with water as you go.....any gunk in your way will not help...you want to keep the gunk out of your way. A spray bottle workes for this OR if you have a major project to do i like to take it out in the yard and use a garden hose propped up to continually mist where i am working

hth

11/14/2006, 12:53 PM
thanks for your comments