PDA

View Full Version : Resealing a terrarium???

turretdr
11/12/2006, 10:15 AM
I have done a search and couldn't find the answer, so here goes. I have a 40 gallon terrarium that is .25 inch glass. I was wondering, can I scrape off the existing silicone and reseal it to use it as a fuge? I have heard to never use a terrarium as an aquarium, but since the glass is as thick as a 55 I have I thought maybe. Any help is appreciated.

serpentman
11/12/2006, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't chance it. Most terrariums come with a disclaimer that they shouldn't be filled with water. However, 1/4" glass should be ok. IMO, for the cost involved, I would get an aquarium.

Rhodophyta
11/12/2006, 11:08 AM
If you know the manufacturer and model, contact them. I just picked up a 40 breeder at a local fish club auction for $15. It is only about 48" x 18" x 10" tall, but I think the glass is thicker than 1/4" Many of them, about twenty tanks from one seller, were half inch glass which looked like overkill. My "thin one" went cheap, but the others only went for five or ten bucks more.

DHyslop
11/12/2006, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't chance it: I think terrarium glass is sub-par. I once dug my old terrarium out of my parent's basement so a college roomate could house a small turtle. He broke the glass trying to clean it (and then punched it for good measure).

Dan