PDA

View Full Version : White moonlights to blue moonlights?

Embowe
11/12/2006, 07:44 AM
This may be meaning-less but its raining out and I need to keep myself occupied. I have a 36" Nova Extreme T-5 fixture on my tank, this unit has 3 white led's for moonlights. My question is if I take the unit apart is there a way to change the led's from white to blue. I have quite a few blue led's laying around. Does anyone know if the led's are wired or soldered to a breadboard? I dont want to have to de-solder them from a breadboard if I dont have to.

fewells
11/12/2006, 07:59 AM
Usually current just uses something like hot glue and glues them to the reflector. And they are just wired directly to the plug. I have had the aquapod apart and that is how it worked. I prefer blue to white also.

Embowe
11/12/2006, 08:22 AM
Ok..I just took apart the fixture...the led's are 5mm, I dont know the mcd rating. They are only held into the fixture/reflector by pressure. As soon as I find my blue 5mm lights I am going to change them out. I have a bunch of orange led's.....I wonder...

electric130
11/12/2006, 12:00 PM
the only thing i would question is the current draw on the exsisting LED's and the blue ones you have. the super bright LED's can vary quite significantly. if you the one you put in are of significant difference, you could either blow out the blue ones or possibly burn out the current power supply by making it try to source too much current. neither of these scenarios are dangerous and fairly easy to fix if it happens, just wanted to make you aware.

Embowe
11/12/2006, 01:28 PM
I stopped and thought about that...I gotta get some time set aside so I can figure out the draw and if I am going to need a resistor...I dont want to kill my new lights