PDA

View Full Version : diy auto top off

geo*SanAnto
11/12/2006, 01:21 AM
I need some help! would this work for an auto matic topp off?I have a gravity fed kalk reactor that is set tio mix 5minutes every 4 hours.I would like to install a solonoid valve connected to the 5 gallon resivior that stands about 5feet above the kalk reactor.The solonoid valve would open at night via my aquacontroller for short top offs to keep water ,ph,and alk levels in check.So I guess Im asking is there any negative to this?
-jorge

Keelay
11/12/2006, 04:01 AM
The Aquacontroller would keep from dosing Kalk if the pH was detected too high I presume?

Also I'm not an expert at solenoids. I may be wrong, but I think they usually require input pressure to operate. Not sure if they would work on a reservoir.

I'm using an aqualifter pump to do something similar. I chose the Aqualifter since it pumps really slow, costs $11, and works well on a reservoir.

The solenoid is more expensive, doesn't limit flow, and might not work on a reservoir.

Here's my system.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/skyedugger/KalkControllerATO2.png

Also you want to make sure you don't dose:

+ While mixing:
+ While letting Kalk to settle
+ While tank pH is too high.

Not sure if the aquacontroller can be made to do this.

geo*SanAnto
11/12/2006, 12:04 PM
thanks keelay! and great illustration btw.

electric130
11/12/2006, 12:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8528052#post8528052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Keelay
Also I'm not an expert at solenoids. I may be wrong, but I think they usually require input pressure to operate. Not sure if they would work on a reservoir.
they make 0 psi solenoids. i used a couple on a previous install. for my last top off, i used a reservior located below the sump (in my garage) and used a power head to pump it up to the sump. i had 2 float switches that maintained the water level within 1". there was a another fail safe float that would kill power to the power head if the other floats failed and the pump continued to run.

Keelay
11/12/2006, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8529299#post8529299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by electric130
they make 0 psi solenoids. i used a couple on a previous install. for my last top off, i used a reservoir located below the sump (in my garage) and used a power head to pump it up to the sump. i had 2 float switches that maintained the water level within 1". there was a another fail safe float that would kill power to the power head if the other floats failed and the pump continued to run.

Thanks that's good to know!