PDA

View Full Version : What style overflow do I have here ???

Krazy
11/10/2006, 09:19 PM
I have an older tank... 90 gallon bowfront

my overflow is a tube on the left side with a circle overflow box and my return comes out on the other side...

perhaps you can see what I mean with my picture :

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3281/hpim0385ys9.jpg

its hard to describe the overflow design as I've never seen one until my own here...

is there something I can do to upgrade it or make it better?

its pretty quiet when adjusted right but sometimes when you power off then power back on, it acts up...

does any one else's tank use this older style ??

:confused:

edit : i just noticed you can barley even see the pipe thats in each corner...

sir_dudeguy
11/10/2006, 09:49 PM
well it just looks like a regular internal overflow to me...without the overflow box part that is. Is there a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank where the water goes out? (or in the back for that matter). You definately dont have an HOB overflow tho lol :)

avshockey311
11/10/2006, 10:36 PM
I would just call it a stand pipe. Like sir-dudeguy said regular overflow without the box.

Krazy
11/10/2006, 10:40 PM
yes I'm drilled in the bottom in both corners

is there any upgrades I can do for this ???

with the tank being full ???

I'll get better pictures tommorow of the actual piece and we can go from tehre...

I know it isnt a hang on :D haha

I do have a hob emperor running carbon though :)

avshockey311
11/10/2006, 10:42 PM
I wouldnt really see the need to upgrade. As long as it is working now why try and fix what is not broke? JMO

Krazy
11/10/2006, 10:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8521480#post8521480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by avshockey311
I wouldnt really see the need to upgrade. As long as it is working now why try and fix what is not broke? JMO

I dont liek how when I turn off the pump, then restart, the tank will flood from the top unless I fiddle with it... thats why I wanna fix/upgrade it... It runs flawless otherwise, I just dont understand why it acts up when you restart it... I'm afraid of what happens when /if the power goes out...

chrisstie
11/10/2006, 11:08 PM
It sounds like your pump is outdoing gravity's work for the first few minutes it runs? Or until you fiddle with it?

Whens the last time you cleaned out the pipes to make sure nothing is blocking the flow of water out of the tank? also check to see if you can adjust the pump of the water going back in?

Krazy
11/10/2006, 11:24 PM
how do you even clean the pipe out? what would I use ???

I brush would be nice, but how to fit it in...

pictures will help I think and I will post em tommorow :)

sir_dudeguy
11/11/2006, 11:06 AM
not sure what all you would use to clean it out..maybe like some sort of long stick w/a brush or something on it i guess. But on a standpipe, the water should just fall right thru...there should be no reason it wouldnt start right back up again imo...the water rises above the top of the pipe and goes in...theres not really anything more than that is there?

So like chrisstie said...you may have an imbalance between your return and overflow gph ratings. I dont know if this is tru for internal overflows, but on HOB ones, you have to have to return putting out slightly less than the oveflow can pull out. But it cant be too much less, otherwise there wont be enough water there quick enough to keep the siphon going.

Krazy
11/11/2006, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8523369#post8523369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
not sure what all you would use to clean it out..maybe like some sort of long stick w/a brush or something on it i guess. But on a standpipe, the water should just fall right thru...there should be no reason it wouldnt start right back up again imo...the water rises above the top of the pipe and goes in...theres not really anything more than that is there?

So like chrisstie said...you may have an imbalance between your return and overflow gph ratings. I dont know if this is tru for internal overflows, but on HOB ones, you have to have to return putting out slightly less than the oveflow can pull out. But it cant be too much less, otherwise there wont be enough water there quick enough to keep the siphon going.

Makes sense to me, so the water rises back up into the tank to fast for the syphon to start, it just rises over the overflow and would flood my tank over the top, I have to start the syphon myself...

So how does one fix this? add a tee into my return line and have some water go off into another chamber ?

Krazy
11/11/2006, 11:16 AM
here's a picture of my overflow... http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7863/hpim0394ayt8.jpg

is there any upgrades for this style ? (I know she's an old-e)