PDA

View Full Version : Titanium

effect
11/10/2006, 08:13 PM
Looking for titanium rods to use in maxi-mods. Any help with the search is greatly appreciated. Also any reason I should not use this in reef tanks. Tried finding titanium spokes for bikes but too expensive.

T Man
11/10/2006, 11:08 PM
Titainium is a rare metallic element and will be expensive in any shape or form. I've welded the metal on ocassion and I use fill rod that can be purchased at a welding supply outfit. The fill rods can be ordered in different diameters and will be extremly hard to shear or grind. Good Luck TinMan

aninjaatemyshoe
11/10/2006, 11:48 PM
As far as the effect of placing titanium in an aquarium, consider that a wide variety of medical implants are made of titanium... it is very unreactive. If you can put it in your body, I'd say that you can place it into your aquarium. However, you probably will not find it too cheap anywhere. Good quality stainless steel might be a better bet. Check out McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/). They have rods under raw materials and springs.

Malifluous
11/11/2006, 01:13 AM
Grounding probes for aquariums are made of titanim. Should be no problem

exoticaquatix
11/11/2006, 01:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8522251#post8522251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Malifluous
Grounding probes for aquariums are made of titanim. Should be no problem

not to mention chiller coils and some heaters.
-nick

effect
11/11/2006, 05:05 PM
I wonder the purity of the welding rods, as far as titanium content. McMaster Carr has the rods in 1/8” but at 14$ for 12” I don’t think ill be doing that. Just wanted to get some for the mod and use the left over for a ground probe. I have herd of some people getting the bike spokes for 1$ each, Damn if The bike shops don’t carry them around here, Ill look for another source that is more around this price, just hoped that one of you guys might know of a cheaper source. Ill post any thing I find if any one is interested.

conefree
11/12/2006, 03:49 PM
I would recommend using tungsten rods. You can get them by the pair at a weld supply shop and there is very little modification to get them to fit into the mod. Good luck!