PDA

View Full Version : How to glue an acrylic plate??

henjon
11/09/2006, 05:30 PM
Hi..
Im making a box for my air driven skimmer out of acrylic plate i got at the hardware store.

the problem is the i have no idea how to glue the pieces together.. Should i use regular silicone as I use on my tank? Or use tangit glue as i use for my pvc fittings?

Thanks in advance

Theexp
11/09/2006, 05:47 PM
First welcome to reef central...
You'll need an acryliic adhesive.
Most people use "Weld-On". It is not carried at most hardware stores but platic shops have it. There are many differnent thickness and set speeds, but most people use
3-which is a water thin solvent that cures extremely fast. Glued using the capilarry method (pins method).
4- Same as 3 but cures slower. Same process used to glue. (pins method.
or
16- Which is a think glue used for uneven edges of filling cracks. just used like regular glue i guess just squeeze it on, but be careful it shrinks.
Also "gluing" panels together is actually solvent welding them together so they chemically become one piece. These glues are solvents so be careful not to get any on the face of the acrylic it will leave a big splotch

henjon
11/09/2006, 05:57 PM
Okay. never heard of it.. actually thought about using silicone, because i saw someone using it in an example.. well i will try and find same weld-on then:-)

Thx

Sold4JC
11/10/2006, 01:25 PM
where is the best place to get weld on? Ive been looking for it. Thanks

Vincerama2
11/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Tap Plastic has Weldon. They have their own brand of "IPS" solvent cement as well as Weldon 16. Weldon 16, as far as I can tell is solvent cement with pre-dissolved acrylic in it. So when you apply it as a cement, the solvent evaporates and the arclyic in the cement remains. The other two (3 & 4) are solvents that will "weld" your acrylic together by dissolving the edges of your acrylic pieces, then evaporating, thus leaving the edges basically welded together.

I HIGHLY suggest going to a place like Tap Plastic and getting some scrap acrylic pieces (generally about 50 cents) and practice cutting and gluing them before you try to assemble your project.

V