PDA

View Full Version : help with microbubbles

oddiseus
11/09/2006, 03:04 PM
Is there any way to stop micro bubbles, is it because of my sump, or are they because of the SCWD?

Here is a pic of the sump.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/pyriel127/DSC00129.jpg

Jester
11/09/2006, 03:54 PM
take a look at Melevs Reef Site (http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html) .... he has a ton of info about all his sumps.. but the area I would focus on is the intake area.. where the overflows enter the sumps... he builds a compartment with opening at the bottom and then fills the bottom with LR rubble in order to keep out the microbubbles...

I've seen other people build similar containers out of large diameter PVC with openings near the bottom and then also adding some small LR pieces to help keep the bubbles out...

let me know if you dont understand what I'm talking about and I'll try to take some pics... or find some pics... good luck..

Jester

Fishbulb2
11/09/2006, 04:13 PM
if it is the intake, also look into micron socks. You can even DIY them if you search for tips on google.
FB

RandyStacyE
11/09/2006, 05:01 PM
How or where are those bubbles entering your sump? I know that sounds like the same question you are asking, but I'm wondering are those bubbles entering your sump from your overflow? I assume you have some sort of standpipe within your overflow, possibly a Durso on there too. Likely this air is just following along with the water from your overflow.

There are many 'micro bubble problem' threads on RC many methods of stopping them, but one sure way is to use a filter sock like Fishbulb2 suggested:
http://randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm buy them or make them.

oddiseus
11/10/2006, 01:44 PM
Well the bubbles are getting into my tank definately from the sump intake from the tank, I dont have a durso or a standpipe on this tank yet, but the other posible source could be from the skimmer. Is there anything I can put on the return line or between the baffles, the reason I say this is because I don't have the room to build another section in the tank to put the intake in.

-Odd

RandyStacyE
11/10/2006, 05:41 PM
Well #1 I would shut down your return pump and see if you are still getting bubbles. If you are, what from, the skimmer? Is your skimmer in your sump?

You could place some sponge in between the baffles and that would require routine maintenance, but some people claim that sponge doesn't solve the problem sometimes.

I would just direct the overflow and the skimmer output into a filter sock, it will keep all bubbles from getting through.

oddiseus
11/10/2006, 05:54 PM
Have you ever heard anything about the SCWD causing microbubbles?

Theexp
11/10/2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think it can cuase micro bubbles, unless there is a leak in your plumbing becuase its just changing flow not sucking or adding air in anyway., but there might be small leak in your plumbing that is acting like a venturi causing microbubbles.

RandyStacyE
11/10/2006, 08:46 PM
I have heard of return pumps causing micro bubbles, but that is usually if there is a loose fitting somewhere before the inlet of the return pump.

I doubt that it is the cause of your micro bubbles unless you are seeing 1,000s of micro bubbles throughout your display tank. In the pic above I see loads of large bubbles. I can't see but part of the sump in that pic, so it's hard to tell what is really going on, but I bet all that air is coming from your overflow. Air can get entrained with the water on its way down to the sump. Do you think that is the problem?

Just as a quick test, you can take one of your socks … literally a sock and cover the feed to your sump. Hold that there for a while and I bet you’ll see a big difference.

I’m about 95% positive that if you post a broad pic of your entire sump it would be much easier to tell what is causing these bubbles.

oddiseus
11/10/2006, 09:25 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/pyriel127/DSC00096.jpg

This is a shot of the sump without any plumbing in.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/pyriel127/000_2657.jpg

Here is a pic with the super large bubbles being produced from the overflow.

-Odd

RandyStacyE
11/10/2006, 10:46 PM
It's just air being entrained with the water while flowing down from the overflow.

ultra spikey
11/10/2006, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8512665#post8512665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
How or where are those bubbles entering your sump? I know that sounds like the same question you are asking, but I'm wondering are those bubbles entering your sump from your overflow? I assume you have some sort of standpipe within your overflow, possibly a Durso on there too. Likely this air is just following along with the water from your overflow.

There are many 'micro bubble problem' threads on RC many methods of stopping them, but one sure way is to use a filter sock like Fishbulb2 suggested:
http://randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm buy them or make them.

I just made my own sock using some felt I found around the house. It works great. THe only thing im worried about is if its safe for the tank? Its purple in color, im not sure if that matters.

RandyStacyE
11/10/2006, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8521641#post8521641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultra spikey
I just made my own sock using some felt I found around the house. It works great. THe only thing im worried about is if its safe for the tank? Its purple in color, im not sure if that matters.

I couldn't say if it is safe or not. That's why I go with the white stuff. I've tried most everything. Polyfill seems to collect bubbles and want to float. Sponge didn't seem to be fine enough. I even tried 'nylons' ... you should have seen my face in the check-out isle with that purchase.

Dark
11/11/2006, 12:21 AM
I have the same problem, but i know where the flaw is actually.

First, my baffles are too close, so the water is flowing too fast and the buble does'nt have the time to get to the surface and "pop".

And some of those bubles going to the lasts bafles ( the ones before the intake of my sump pump to the tank) and they are aspired into the impeller, and my skimmer produces some litles bubles too and they are not all filtered by my last baffle, so my impeller acts like a skimmer...

I'm constructing a new sump with more space between the baffles where the water current goes down, to allow the bubles to be not aspired in. Actully my bad sump have a 1" space between baffles, and I will make the new ones with 2", plus the new sump will have a higher widht... So the water will move slower, allwing bubbles to pop.

Excuse my bad english...

Dark

Dark
11/11/2006, 02:36 AM
I have the same problem, but i know where the flaw is actually.

First, my baffles are too close, so the water is flowing too fast and the buble does'nt have the time to get to the surface and "pop".

And some of those bubles going to the lasts bafles ( the ones before the intake of my sump pump to the tank) and they are aspired into the impeller, and my skimmer produces some litles bubles too and they are not all filtered by my last baffle, so my impeller acts like a skimmer...

I'm constructing a new sump with more space between the baffles where the water current goes down, to allow the bubles to be not aspired in. Actully my bad sump have a 1" space between baffles, and I will make the new ones with 2", plus the new sump will have a higher widht... So the water will move slower, allwing bubbles to pop.

Excuse my bad english...

Dark

oddiseus
11/11/2006, 09:54 PM
Hmm, this would be very difficult to rebuild my sump, My system has already been started. I think I can squeeze a bubble trap into the sump but the problem is the trap would butt up against one of my baffles. Do you think this would still be effective>

-Odd

jeffgp
11/11/2006, 10:39 PM
put some LR in the sump to break apart the large bubbles ..or build an intake box like on melvee site . they work well

jaeden
11/12/2006, 09:24 PM
I skipped through this thread ,I had micro bubbles coming from skimmer outlet , put a filter sock on the outlet problem solved BTW my flow through the sump is only 400gph those with much higher flow may have bigger problems ,good luck.

DrHank
11/12/2006, 10:15 PM
I had a similar problem along with nearly constant gurgling. Built a durso with the info on Reef Central. No more gurgling and no more bubbles. The only thing that I didn't do was cap the standpipe. I left it open at the top. Works great.