PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach frags

dbraun15
11/09/2006, 12:11 PM
I bought some frags yesterday and they came on "little stands"--in the shape of a T, made out of sand/cement--I want to cut the bottom part so I can just attach the little disc--what's best to use to cut the "stand"? and what's best to attach the frag to the LR--My LR is set up the way I want it and don't want to take it out of the water to attach--any help would be appreciated

BLKTANG
11/09/2006, 12:27 PM
Puddy,or coral glue

All Delight
11/09/2006, 03:07 PM
I use glue or expoy depending on the coral

dystopian
11/09/2006, 11:43 PM
You can either use a rotary tool(Dremel) or cutters if the branch is thin enough.

To attach, either superglue gel or epoxy. Not sure if there are other methods, but when attaching frags, I apply the superglue onto the rock with both pieces out of the water and the surfaces briefly wiped dry. I then wait for the superglue to thicken up drying for about 30 seconds then place the entire piece back into the water. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and can be done also with epoxy, although you can skip the drying stage. If taking the rock out isn't an option, you can apply the epoxy right in the water and mold the frag onto the rock. Not sure if it's necessary but I'd recommend mixing the epoxy out of water before applying. If you're using a skimmer, shut it off for a day or so after applying epoxy, your skimmer won't react well to it.

Hope this helps ^_^

louist
11/10/2006, 12:13 AM
Use the gel type superglue, it makes your life so much easier!

Just apply generously to the frag, let it cure for a minute or two in air, then glue away! When you place it into the final position, give it a twist to break the membrane that forms. With practice, you will get very efficient at it. Normal superglue can be chilled to increase its viscosity too.

The first time I tried gluing.............. let's not talk about that story :D

chocolateblnt
11/10/2006, 12:30 PM
do not buy the krazy glue gel ... worthless

Susied
11/10/2006, 06:45 PM
Did the krazy not work for you? I've had luck with it but everyone has a different experience.

dystopian
11/10/2006, 11:09 PM
I've used krazy glue gel with success as well, but it dried out after a couple of days, probably my fault for not capping it tightly ...>_<