PDA

View Full Version : Without the glass?!

awestruck
11/08/2006, 10:40 AM
How significant is the change in the penetration of light when glass lids are removed? Thanx for any answers.

BrokeColoReefer
11/08/2006, 10:47 AM
assuming the glass is clean, which it never is, i would say about 15% if its dirty, it can be upwards of 50%

GSMguy
11/08/2006, 11:14 AM
get rid of the glass it will look sooo much better and much more par

ralphie16
11/08/2006, 11:51 AM
are you not scared of fish jumping out? or water getting on the bulbs or fixtures?

BrokeColoReefer
11/08/2006, 12:07 PM
I doont buy fish that jump out, and the bulbs are far enough away and should have there on sheild anyway.

awestruck
11/08/2006, 02:14 PM
Hi, thanx for your responses. I just need to get "legs" so that, obviously, the lights don't fall in. Although I hear you can use eggcrate to discourage jumpers.

BrokeColoReefer
11/08/2006, 03:05 PM
egg crate is a light diffuser too.... thats what its actual use is...

raddogz
11/08/2006, 03:29 PM
Eggcrate is a light diffuser and it will certainly diffuse the light from the fixture i.e. it will get dimmer.

What kind of fish do you have and what kind of corals are you keeping or planning on keeping?

If this is an Oceanic 58g - you lucked out - no center brace for this size tank. LPS and more so for SPS corals will benefit from not having any type of light diffuser whether it be from the glass or eggcrate.

awestruck
11/09/2006, 12:42 PM
Hi again, thanx for your responses. My tank is a 58 Oceanic-it's 3 feet long which is nice for our living room. Also, since it's 2 feet deep I get some nice depth for aquascaping. My tank is LPS in addition to 2 different small rocks w/mushrooms. Last night my son and I put the feet on the two pc's and the increased brightness was immediately evident. I also have one T5 though, and according to my LFS they don't have legs from the manufacturer. Right now we're trying to figure out how to put legs on the T5 yet not let it fall in the water. I have heard that egg crate works well for jumpers yet simultaneously diffuses light. Currently I only have two fish: 1 coral beauty and 1 purple firefish. I don't know, what do you think? PS: I don't have any SPS because I feel I don't have adequate lighting to support their needs.

ralphie16
11/09/2006, 12:59 PM
firefish are jumpers for sure

raddogz
11/09/2006, 01:04 PM
I agree firefish are good jumper candidates.

If this is a standard Oceanic 58g tank the dimensions would be 36x18x21. The sky is the limit when it comes to lighting this tank. If it's pc's and t-5 you could consider building a canopy.

antonsemrad
11/10/2006, 02:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8504975#post8504975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raddogz
Eggcrate is a light diffuser and it will certainly diffuse the light from the fixture i.e. it will get dimmer.

What kind of fish do you have and what kind of corals are you keeping or planning on keeping?

If this is an Oceanic 58g - you lucked out - no center brace for this size tank. LPS and more so for SPS corals will benefit from not having any type of light diffuser whether it be from the glass or eggcrate.

eggcrate (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic24384-13-1.aspx)

awestruck
11/10/2006, 07:38 AM
Thanx for your ideas! :) Unfortunately I have no clue as to how to build a canopy for the pc's and the t5; and, MH lighting is out of the question for quite a while (Christmas is coming and I'm saving for the down payment for my son's braces). One interesting thing about my purple firefish is that she stays quite low in the tank--about the lower 1/5. She actually was in my 29 and doing very well--then suddenly she started getting picked on so I moved her. So far she's doing well which surprises me since the CB is in there. Anyway, right now the pc's are on legs and the t5 is sitting on 1/2 of the glass from the original lid. Additinally, the LPS are doing very well under the current lighting so at least they're getting enough. I'm currently out of any more ideas...