PDA

View Full Version : achilles to a 200 yes or no

gasman059
11/08/2006, 10:12 AM
yellow/powder/blue hippo all doing well
the yellow is the boss but they are all thriving and currently happy. SHould i push my luck or not. I really want an achilles, but responsible mind and experiencsays no. Please tang lovers advice.TY:eek1:

surgeon_fan
11/08/2006, 10:42 AM
the powder blue and the achilles will fight until someone is dead :( they are both very fragile and very mean

Joshua1023
11/08/2006, 11:51 AM
I agree w/ surgeon_fan. You have to always watch pairing up two tangs that are the same basic shape. Since the powder blue is already set up in your tank he will probrably come out on top. Don't bother.

gasman059
11/08/2006, 12:02 PM
lol anybody else LOL

keefsama2003
11/08/2006, 12:14 PM
based on the powder blue i have in my 300 i agree with above. he will dominate the achilles to death more than likely i have a 3" powder blue that bullies my passer angel and the passer is a good 7" and my koran is 10" and the powder blue has the koran scared for his life most times the tang just flashes at my koran and it goes the other way so an achilles which is the same as the powder expect 1 of them to not make it as they both wont back down.

Blazer88
11/08/2006, 12:15 PM
Are you waiting until someone says it's fine?

DrHank
11/08/2006, 12:17 PM
Definately no! The only family of tangs (as far as I know) that you don't allready have a member of would be Naso. I personally oppose keeping Naso's in a home aquarium (they are open ocean swimmers which will outgrow any hobbiest tank eventually). You might get away with 2 more yellows (they tend to do well in schools of small numbers) but you have to consider the size of your tank. I'd personally stop unless I wanted a total tang tank. Good luck!

gasman059
11/08/2006, 01:49 PM
agree guys blazer I understand you point just curious on some of the posts would b
thanks

DrHank
11/08/2006, 11:23 PM
Achillies and powder blue are in the same family and will fight. So is the orange shoulder and powder brown. Surgeon fan is right on the money. The yellow, desjarden and sailfin are all Zebrasoma another likley fight situation. Simplest way to decide is to look at scientific names. It they match what you have, you don't want to add. You may want to consider angelfish, they usually mix well with tangs. In your size tank you could probably get by with two dwarfs (provided you have plenty of cover) and a large angel.

zemuron114
11/09/2006, 04:09 AM
how established are they. if you REALLY want to add the achilles you would have to take out atleast the powder blue and introduce it after the achilles gets settled in. If you add the achilles to your tank now it WILL get ich, and it WILL get very stressed. no way around it... But there are numurous tanks with the same species in it even some with PBT and achilles... ample room it can be done easily but not after one is fairly established for a long time.

pk1
11/09/2006, 11:14 AM
Well, I have a friend who had them both in a 240 FOWLR, not much bigger than your 200, 1 year and doing fine so far. He q-tine's all his fish with the hypo salinity method, and has never had ich (he is very strict about this). To introduce the fish and pass the initial territorial fighting he put a 1/8" plexiglass divider in his tank for a month after he introduced the powder blue. This worked for him- I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just the facts!

PK

jda
11/09/2006, 01:32 PM
I have BPT and a BPT hybrid (BPTxGoldrim) in together. I had an achilles in there for 4-5 months with no issues. The three of them hung out in a bunch along with my chocolate tang.

They will need LOTS of food and hiding places. If you don't keep them well fed, they will get agressive.

I would not put an achilles, or most tangs really, into any display without being in isolation/QT until it can defend it's self, fight for food, doesn't hide when you walk by and is disease free. This could take months with an achilles.

BTW - I have 2 purples and a black together too. I don't put much stock into the 'same bodytype' theory.

Amphiprion
11/09/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8503564#post8503564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrHank
(they are open ocean swimmers...)

:confused: I may be misunderstanding you, but none of the Naso sp. are really open ocean swimmers (maybe you meant open areas, like the drop offs?) While they may inhabit outer reef areas and reef drop offs, they are not open ocean swimmers--they are inextricably tied to the reefs. I do agree with the space, though, since they normally swim quite a lot in very large areas.

Gem Tang Rider
11/13/2006, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't do an achilles.
A kole tang would be your best bet with the size tank you have.
I had to hang a mirror on the side of my tank when I added a purple tang to my tank. My established but much smaller achilles almost killed the larger purple tang. The mirror was enough of a distraction to the achilles, that the purple tang made it. They all get along now, & the mirror is down.