PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic fabricator's opinion needed

sandman12
11/07/2006, 03:51 PM
Lowe's has pre cut sheets of acrylic that equal the EXACT demensions of a tank a want to make 24x24x18high. Are those pre cut edges ok to go ahead and glue or do I need to take a bit off the ends with a table saw?

Acrylics
11/07/2006, 08:58 PM
Hard to say really as I can't see the eges :)
I would guess that you will want to prep the edges with a router rather than a table saw.
Also make sure the pieces you are looking at are in fact square and consistent in all dimensions. This is *a* primary reason we prep all pieces. The other primary reason is to make the edges as smooth as possible.

HTH?
James

fishnut321
11/08/2006, 06:50 PM
is it acrylite?? ive been looking at that also, but ive heard taht you need a special cast acrylic sheet for building with. Ive heard that anything else will have weak joints? can anyone clarify this?

BumpinTJ24
11/08/2006, 07:11 PM
for sumps and such extruded is ok if it is low volume, ie. 35 gallons or less. Cell-Cast Acrylic is what you want. Unfortunatley the stuff that lowes and HD carry are extruded. Cast can only be bought at a Plastic supplier.

fishnut321
11/08/2006, 08:34 PM
what is the biggest size sheet of acrylite you can get at lowes? i want to build a 48 wide by 36 long by 10 inch prop tank. Will acrylite stand up to this?

Acrylics
11/08/2006, 10:24 PM
Can you ps clarify the q? Acrylite is a brand name by Cyro and is made in both extruded (FF) and cell cast (GP). Both could be used for your frag tank but would need a top perimeter flange since it's only 1/4", crossbrace would be recommended as well.
I have no idea what sizes they sell at Lowes so can't help ya there - sorry 'bout that.

HTH,
James

Cuervo
11/08/2006, 10:34 PM
I looked at the acrylic at Lowes and HD. Most of it was badly scratched, and I thought it was a little over priced compared to what I see at the online sources.