PDA

View Full Version : Wire Harness for entire setup?

papagimp
11/07/2006, 12:29 PM
I am in the planning stages for a 150g tank setup. I'll have lot's of electrical components to deal with and would like to build a custom wiring harness for the whole setup, much like what you find on an automobile, connectors for each individual component (for ease of removal and cleaning) and running the harness to a junction block for breakers and whatnot. Anybody know of a supplier that would carry the appropriate style connectors for something like this?

TropTrea
11/07/2006, 12:57 PM
Newark electronics. I believe they have there catolog on linje as well.

Dennis

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 01:13 PM
I don't know if I am following along with this. Can you draw up a layout in something like paint to give us a visual of what you want?

papagimp
11/07/2006, 01:37 PM
uh, my skills with paint arn't great. Go pop the hood on your car and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. you wanna replace a busted module in your car, simple unplug it and it comes out, leaving the wiring still there. i want to be able to do that with my tank setup. ( I think i'm catching that DIY bug that's been going around)

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 01:59 PM
:lmao: You're lack of graphic software proficiency is equal to my lack of automotive skills ;)

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 02:01 PM
FWIW, I've seen people make their own breaker boxes and have a switch board with plug ins. For example, they have a standard, two plug electrical outlet wired to a light switch to control the power to that specific plug in. All of that is wired to a special breaker box.

fishnut321
11/07/2006, 02:02 PM
its like a quick disconnect.... and yes you should be able to do it. It would be neat to put different parts of your tank on dedicated harnesses like lights, pumps etc.

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 02:11 PM
Here's what I was describing:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/TravisStevens/Aquariums/Diagrams/SwitchBox.jpg

papagimp
11/07/2006, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8496937#post8496937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
:lmao: You're lack of graphic software proficiency is equal to my lack of automotive skills ;)

lol, i have a lack of auto skills as well, just don't tell the boss!

I've seent he breaker boxes done as well as the toggle switch boards and whatnot Travis, in fact, I have a quad plug box for my freshwater tank. It helps but it doesn't have that awesome custom and clean look that I'd get out of a wire harness, just like fishnut said, quick connectors and plugs. Only I'll have every single electrical component wired into a single stationary harness built onto the tank setup directly. This would allow me to remove any or all component and leave the wiring in place. (believe it or not, but this revelation came to me a while back when I plugged in a pump with water all over my hands and let's just say that all my hair stood on end. Travis, you seen my hair, need I say more)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/123821105626958.gif
okay, look at this wire harness, imagine it fastened into the tank stand with connectors going to the return pump, lighting, ect.
I'd cut the power cables from each component and hook one of the connectors so I could actually unhook a return pump or whatever at the source without a lengthy cable to worry about. does that help some?

hansmatt
11/07/2006, 02:57 PM
I just posted a similar thread (though linked to a controller). I'd like to incoporate gfi's as well. Thinking about this same setup, with each outlet piggybacked (?) into a controller. Maybe have the lit outlets so you can see if the breaker tripped?

Donw
11/07/2006, 03:07 PM
I do think its a good idea for lighting. I wouldnt do it for pumps or anything that may get wet in a flood unless you can find water tight connections.

Don

papagimp
11/07/2006, 03:24 PM
Donw, with the amount of wires under my tank, I wouldn't even consider this project without water tight connections.

papagimp
11/07/2006, 03:26 PM
Donw, with the amount of wires under my tank, I wouldn't even consider this project without water tight connections. Besides, the whole idea goes out the window if I cannot hook up every single component to a central harness. If I have to move this tank in the future, I don't want to have to worry about rewiring, or the amount of cables and plugs i'm going to have otherwise.
i've been looking at websites that deal in marine automotives, boats, ect.. trying to find some good water tight connectors, but I can't find anything that would work in place of a normal outlet plug, bigger wires, more voltage, that sort of thing.

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 03:30 PM
I'ld just make a trip up to a hardware store and look in their elecrtical section. Find some good male and female connectors (such as a good three prong), snip the power cord of the items you want, and attach the male end on one side and the female end on the other.

Donw
11/07/2006, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8497493#post8497493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
Donw, with the amount of wires under my tank, I wouldn't even consider this project without water tight connections.

I probably wouldnt worry about a harness. Just shortening the cables makes a huge difference in the mess. Picture that pump 12" from the outlet with a 12 ft cable.

Don

papagimp
11/07/2006, 03:38 PM
Oh sure, you make it sound all simple. I've never seen a water tight connector like i'd want for this at any place like home depot or lowes so i asked here. I do plan to check out a few places, better to ask before driving around first though.

Donw
11/07/2006, 03:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8497607#post8497607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
Oh sure, you make it sound all simple. I've never seen a water tight connector like i'd want for this at any place like home depot or lowes so i asked here. I do plan to check out a few places, better to ask before driving around first though.

Their called dock connectors. Try boaters world or west marine.

Don

flfirefighter13
11/07/2006, 03:50 PM
Theatrical lighting uses cables that are 19 pin, known as soco, soca, or multicable. Breakouts and Breakins allow for 6 circuits to be run off of one main line that comes in. It would use a standard edison, but would allow you to kind of do what your thinking. Pics can be sees at http://www.lexproducts.com/catalog/cableAssemblies/np18b.htm You can use this to run the power to a seperate distrubution box or group of outlets away from the tank that will allow you to unplug without being near the tank or water. This company also makes waterproof edison connectors, Thay are your standard house plug, but water proofed. Hope that helps

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 03:53 PM
Donw, I don't think you realize that for as many lakes as Oklahoma has, there are very few boating places unlike coastal states ;) :D

Adam, I'll keep my eyes out for waterproof connectors

papagimp
11/07/2006, 04:54 PM
Wanna hear something funny Travis? I'm from arizona where there is a severe lack of lakes and stuff but there's plenty of boating stores and whatnot. go figure

okay, I've been searching around and found a site that has these connectors, there water tight inline connectors. I'll find some of these locally if possible, then use them within a few inches of each of the electrical parts on my setup.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/123821maleconnector.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/123821femaleconnector.jpg

Not the best pictures but they give you guys an idea of what i'm thinking.

MattAranda
11/07/2006, 05:49 PM
papagimp, are you thinking about just a wire harness or something to make the wiring cleaner? I am getting ready to set up a system of about 16 plug-ins and switches and wire that directly to my circuit breaker. If you want I can do a picture editorial of the whole thing.

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2006, 05:54 PM
Nice find, Adam. Those should work great. How much were they where you found them?

papagimp
11/07/2006, 05:59 PM
Matt, the most simple way I can describe it is that I want a wiring harness, like on an automobiles engine, but on my tank, stand, and canopy. Can't get much cleaner looking than a complete single harness with connectors for all the equpiment. That and I'll secure the mess with actual harness clips for an automobile. that way the entire mess is removable if i have to add another component in the future.

Travis, I found those at some do it yourself.com website, I forget the name but they were about 4 bucks and some change apiece. I figure I'd need at least 10-15 of them and some quality wire. I already know where to get some wiring harness wrap, perks of the job. Once I find something similar locally and start work on the 150 I'll definatly do a tank log and everyone can see my masterpiece and be jealous! Mua ha ha!