PDA

View Full Version : bio balls ?

MacJoe
11/06/2006, 06:58 PM
I have been taking my bio balls out over the last few months, they will all be gone after next water change. Any advice what i can put in there place? would crushed coral be ok ?

Reef4Fun
11/06/2006, 07:13 PM
thats what I am working toward. My plans are to get them out slowly and replace with crushed coral/rock, and raise the water level up to cover them.

LtPiper
11/06/2006, 07:33 PM
LOL and I just added a bunch of "bioballs" to my system to cut down bubbles. Happy to say I got rid of them!

MacJoe
11/06/2006, 07:47 PM
i am seeing more bubbles and noise looking forward to getting rid of both.

LtPiper
11/06/2006, 08:03 PM
I added the "bioballs" to get rid of the noise and bubble.

Reef4Fun
11/06/2006, 08:15 PM
if you let some of the rock stick above the water, that would break up the bubbles and cushion the noise, but someone with more know how will chime in here and give you better advise

firefish2020
11/07/2006, 11:53 AM
if you let some of the rock stick above the water, that would break up the bubbles and cushion the noise

There would be no difference in bio balls or rock if you did this though. You would still have the same anaerobic and aerobic bacteria plus rock has a tendency to break down over time unlike bio balls. The whole bio-ball argument is pointless IMO.

I have tanks with and without and all are equal as long as the bio-balls are maintained (rinsed fromtime to time). I have seen only one instance where the bio-balls were removed from someone's tank and made a difference bringing down nitrate levels. However that said it was more because the balls were not maintained by that hobbyist and not just because they were there.