PDA

View Full Version : Bulkheads leaking again on my 180g!!!

raynist
11/04/2006, 11:10 PM
I saw one of my bulkheads leaking again tonight. This is the second time in a little over a year. It happened about 6 months ago too.

I have 4 one inch bulkheads that I had the place I bought my tank from drill, they did a horrible hack job. There are chips that extend past the rubber ring on the inside. I loaded all of the bulkheads up with aquarium sealant the last time it happened and I not sure what to do now.

Do they make bulkheads that have a bigger 'lip' on the inside so it will completely cover the chips? Should I just get rid of the rubber gasket since it doesn't cover the chips anyways and just use silicone?

Should I use the rubber gaskets and then silicone heavily again on the inside and the outside?

I just don't want this to happen again. It was a very very slow leak, it evaporated before even getting to the bottom trim of the tank.

Any suggestions welcome!!!!

Thanks
Ray Nist

maro1
11/04/2006, 11:21 PM
I don't know of a bulkhead with a bigger ring. You may be able to find some though. I would go with a through cleaning around where the ring seats and then use some silcone in the areas where the chips are.

Mar

raynist
11/04/2006, 11:24 PM
Someone else recommended turning the bulkheads around so the screw part is on the inside and the rubber gasket on the outside.

--Ray

Bebo77
11/04/2006, 11:28 PM
have you tried the Hayward bulk heads from aquaticeco? the are the "top quality" ones.. they have a real thick gasket...

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6862/cid/1869

maro1
11/05/2006, 12:14 AM
urning them around is also a good thing to try. I have done that on my sumps and it wors good.

Mar

DHyslop
11/05/2006, 12:45 AM
Turning them around is the only thing you can do if the chips are bigger than the gasket. It sounds like your LFS botched the job so make sure you don't give them your patronage anymore!

Don't use silicone, it will make the problem worse: it outgases as it cures which might flex the gasket or make pockets where water can flow through.

Dan

raynist
11/05/2006, 12:51 AM
It looks like I would be taking a chance if I reversed the bulkheads as they f'ed up the outside too. That is what I get for trying to save $30.....

I think I am going to have to cut an acrylic flange that is a bit larger than the area with the chips and then make a gasket for it. So the original bulkhead will be attached to the flange on the inside and then the acrylic bulkhead will be against the inside glass.

I haven't worked with acrylic, what would I use to cut the holes?

What would I use to make the gasket between the acrylic and the glass?

--Ray

Atomahawk
11/05/2006, 08:11 AM
To cut the holes in the acrylic you can use a good quality hole saw, if you have a press drill it will be much easier, as you have much better control on centering and adjusting pressure while cutting through. Work slow so not to heat the acrylic to much.

A router table with a template also works great.

The gasket can be made with epdm rubber that is used for building ponds, it's cheap and you'll have plenty as it's sold per linear foot X whatever width they have. You can use silicone lubricant to clean the rubber and fill any small inperfections.

energy_crisis
11/05/2006, 09:36 AM
Just make sure you don't ask the same LFS to cut it for you!

Your hole doesn't have to be 100% precise. A jigsaw and steady hands can do just about anything. cut out the peice in any shape you want. Drill a hold in the center and trace out the hole for the bulkhead with a jig. That's what I've done since I don't have any cool tools but a table saw and a drill press whith hole cutter will make it easier and professional looking.

sarduci
11/05/2006, 11:02 AM
Or, if you can, step up to the next size bulkhead and drill the hole bigger. Buy a diamond hole saw for $30 and cut it yourself this time.

raynist
11/05/2006, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8482725#post8482725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sarduci
Or, if you can, step up to the next size bulkhead and drill the hole bigger. Buy a diamond hole saw for $30 and cut it yourself this time.

That would be ideal, but the tank is full of fish and corals.

energy_crisis
11/05/2006, 11:09 AM
You don't need a diamond saw for acrylic.

raynist
11/05/2006, 11:14 AM
this tank is glass

auSS/Tin
11/05/2006, 01:40 PM
If the holes are the right size, you could use uniseals. I got mine from Aquatic-Eco.com

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8600

They seal on the "inside" of the hole that has been cut, not on the surface of the glass. When you push the pipe into the seal, it pushes the rubber seal into the glass, works really well and it offers some flexing as well. I used it to fix a leak in my skimmer. I have since used a couple on my sump and my ro/di reservior.

HTH

Bill

Norboo
11/05/2006, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8480914#post8480914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
have you tried the Hayward bulk heads from aquaticeco? the are the "top quality" ones.. they have a real thick gasket...

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6862/cid/1869

Aquatic Eco-systems, Inc. has the worst customer service and shipping. They also charge $5.00 for orders under $30.

Norboo
11/05/2006, 02:10 PM
If you can, file/sand the opening to fit a size larger.

I use Dremel with Dremel 1ct.Tile Cutter – 562 (Stock number DR562 Works great)
http://www.maxtool.com/index_images/562-ss.gif

DHyslop
11/05/2006, 03:20 PM
If you're going to drill the hole larger the right tool for the job is a diamond hole saw; available on ebay for ~$10.

Dan

BeanAnimal
11/05/2006, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8483539#post8483539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by auSS/Tin
If the holes are the right size, you could use uniseals. I got mine from Aquatic-Eco.com

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8600

They seal on the "inside" of the hole that has been cut, not on the surface of the glass. When you push the pipe into the seal, it pushes the rubber seal into the glass, works really well and it offers some flexing as well. I used it to fix a leak in my skimmer. I have since used a couple on my sump and my ro/di reservior.

HTH

Bill

Uniseals on glass can be a risky propostition. There is a lot of stress involved....

Bean

BeanAnimal
11/05/2006, 05:03 PM
Ray is going to be making a "washer" out of acrylic that is slightly larger than the flange on the bulkhead. He will put a gasket between the flange and washer and the washer and bulkhead. Hopefully we can get enough torque to create a good seal.

The "better" option was to use PVC sheet stock to make the washer and bond it directly to the flange, increasing the flange diameter. However, one of the local LFS owners (Under The Sea, near Pittsburgh) was kind enough to fabricate the acrylic washer for Ray on short notice and for basically free.