PDA

View Full Version : minimum silicone thickness between panels?

bad coffee
11/04/2006, 01:07 PM
I'm about to rebuild a 58. 36x18x21 I want starfire front and sides. When I cut the tank apart there were 'tacks' of silicone at the end of each pane. (It's an Oceanic,) Were the dots (about 1/16") put there to hold the tank together, or to space the sheets of glass apart? The dots are clear, and the rest of the silicone is black. That's how I noticed them.

Does AGA/Oceanic put a spacer between the sheets of glass and tack them in? Then once that dries, silicone the tank and shoot the silicone into the small spaces between? It seems to me like it would be difficult to get a full bead under the glass if they did it that way.

Another idea is they put the dots one one sheet and let them dry. They create their own spacer. When the bead of silicone is put on, the sheet only pushes out the excess until the dots hit the bottom. then there is a thicker silicone joint?

Anyone have any ideas? I seem to remember reading (a long time ago) there was a 'minimum silicone thickness' for larger tanks. I can't find it on google. Anyone remember seeing something like that?

thanks
B