PDA

View Full Version : what to feed digitata?

sir_dudeguy
11/03/2006, 12:17 AM
ok...so i've got a digitata coral dumped on me...its at the top of the tank and i've heard that they're a little less light needy and easier to keep than any other sps coral...

But what do i feed it? Roties? Anything NOT live? (i prefer not to buy live foods all the time...i've seen a few types of "powder" stuff...do those work)?

thanks

Sk8r
11/03/2006, 12:30 AM
You don't need to feed it specifically so long as you have bristleworms and fish. It filter-feeds. They're quite fragile: just tap them and they frag. if this happens, use superglue to glue the broken bit to another rock and you have 2 digis.

sir_dudeguy
11/03/2006, 12:34 AM
Ok thanks. Right now all i feed is flake and a couple times a week i do frozen mysis and freeze dried plankton every now and then...they'd get all they need thru that?

And what would the bristles do for them (other than cleaning the tank as usual obviously...or is that just it? They need really clean tanks?)

thanks again

AndyB4784
11/03/2006, 01:16 AM
feed them lots of fish poop

dippin61
11/03/2006, 05:42 PM
you should be fine with just the waste of your fish.. as with most SPS corals, light and fish poop is all thats needed.

sir_dudeguy
11/03/2006, 10:30 PM
so why do people get into all these crazy expensive foods? lol

serpentman
11/03/2006, 10:53 PM
I thinks its good to supplement with something every once and a while. Personally, I culture and dose phyto (primarily for pods, filter feeders, etc.) I feed cyclopeeze 2-3x for my sps only as a supplement as most of their requirements are met with light.

As far as digitata goes, I can attest to the fact that they frag easily. I have one colony that has resulting in 4 due to accidental fragging.

Sk8r
11/03/2006, 10:58 PM
Bristleworms break fish and snail poo into a diameter easily used by the corals, so I'm told. That helps the fish help the corals. One caution: flake food is particularly high in phosphate which the corals don't like. If you run Phosban, that should solve it, and lower the algae incidence, too. I feed: cyclopeeze, phyto, and occasional pellet; lately, oyster eggs---that's experimental, and pricey, but the corals do seem to flourish afterward.