PDA

View Full Version : Timer for Skimmer

undrwata
06/29/2002, 08:26 PM
Has anyone thought or ever done this...get a timer that can be set for ...say 1-4 hrs, so when set it goes intp the off position...I'm thinking of finding a way to set my skimmer off for some time when I feed and then have it start automatically...Any imput or Ideas as to the type of timer needed...this will be breaking the contact and shutting down then restarting....

;)

kevino
06/29/2002, 09:33 PM
why don't you just get an electonic one, that can be programmed to turn on/off whenever you like, every/any day you set, as much as 16 times a day, if you like...
?

undrwata
06/30/2002, 12:01 AM
I ahve a total X-10 system controling my system thats not the issue I'm looking for a timer to shut off for a short time at the time of feeding I don't feed my fish at the exact same time every each time.

;)

GROSSR
06/30/2002, 06:20 AM
You have the same plan as I do. I like to turn off the skimmer when I feed. But, sometimes I skip feeding and sometimes I do it at a different time. I thought about connecting the pump to my Wavemaker, but I want the skimmer off for a couple of hours.

Here is a link I found which should solve the problem. I believe you can use a different timer to lengthen the time needed. I have seen 12 hour timers at Home Depot.

http://personal.cfw.com/~sharnor/reef/diyfolder/feedingtimer.htm

Good luck.

undrwata
06/30/2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks Grosser....I would think this would be a popular device or at least some people would want this....anyway I will look into your plan.....anyone else have any ideas?

;)

Reef Creeper
06/30/2002, 07:51 PM
It can be done a number of ways if you're comfortable working with electricity. One of the simplest would be to wire a push button to the coil of a time delay relay (time delay-off), and wire the skimmer to a set of normally closed contacts.
Here's how it works....inittially the skimmer is running. When you press the button the relay coil energizes and the contacts open shutting the skimmer off. When you release the button the timer starts and after the time delay the coil deenergizes and the contacts close turning the skimmer back on.