PDA

View Full Version : 90gal All-Glass with overflow?

zach202
11/02/2006, 01:51 PM
Alright, I have a 90gal all glass with the built in rear overflow and am building a custom stand.

As Im about to finish the stand I just noticed what could be a major issue... The holes drilled for the overflow are only about 2" from the back of the tank and my stand has a 2x4 accross the back that sticks out about 1.5". Will this give me enough room for the bulkhead or will I need to modify the stand? Does anyone else have a simluar setup?

Also, for the overflow kit, are people using the one they sell or just making your own?

I had planned on using the return hole as a backup drain and running the incoming water over the top on each side. I was assuming that the 600gph restriction was due to the return line only being 1/2" too, but I could be wrong.

Travis L. Stevens
11/02/2006, 01:56 PM
I'm guessing that this is drilled in the bottom and not the back? If so, it sounds like that it would work. Just put the tank on the stand and look. If it doesn't fit, modify the stand a little.

Most people that have predrilled AGA tanks use the Mega Overflow Kit that normally comes with the tank or that they buy one seperate. You can make your own if you want to, though.

Shooter7
11/02/2006, 01:58 PM
Actually, the 600 gph is what the intended drain hole can handle. I built my own dursos for mine for very cheap and am happy with them. If you're considering doing something over the top of the tank, I'd just use the drain and return holes for what they're intended and built a closed loop over the top for your circulation. As far as the bulkhead issue, not sure what your situation is going to be without actually seeing it.

DarthBaiter
11/02/2006, 02:52 PM
Half an inch from the edge of the tank to the edge of the hole in the glass? I would have to go look tonight, but it might be real tight...
Worse comes to worse maybe you can sand down the area around the lock nut of the bulkhead.

I use the pvc that came with mine. If you got time and energy, you can make your own.

zach202
11/02/2006, 02:58 PM
Alright, I decided that it was just too close and Im in a hurry to get the stand completed. I chistled (sp?) about 1/4-1/2" off the 2x4 since the bottom brace of the tank only extends out 1" I figured the extra was not needed, now I have no worries about it fitting.

Is there a structure issue with chistling out the 2x4, its about a 10" long spot, again less than 1/2" deep. The stand is brace with a 2x4on each end and the center. Im taking photos now.

DarthBaiter
11/02/2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about the small area. But just to make sure, you should post a step by step pic of everything you do to that tank from now on. :)

STEELERFAN747
11/02/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8465203#post8465203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach202
Alright, I have a 90gal all glass with the built in rear overflow and am building a custom stand.

As Im about to finish the stand I just noticed what could be a major issue... The holes drilled for the overflow are only about 2" from the back of the tank and my stand has a 2x4 accross the back that sticks out about 1.5". Will this give me enough room for the bulkhead or will I need to modify the stand? Does anyone else have a simluar setup?

Also, for the overflow kit, are people using the one they sell or just making your own?

I had planned on using the return hole as a backup drain and running the incoming water over the top on each side. I was assuming that the 600gph restriction was due to the return line only being 1/2" too, but I could be wrong.

You will be fine. Dont sweat it.
By the way, I have an all-glass overflow kit (brand new in the bag that I will not be using. ( if you are interested)