PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hippo Question

paeSona
11/01/2006, 06:15 PM
I HAVE A 90GAL REEF WITH A BUNCH OF CORALS AND PEACEFUL REEF SAFE FISH. NO OTHER TANGS. BUT IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD WORRY ABOUT WITH MY TANG BESIDES ICH. AND IF IT IS ICH IS IT ALWAYS DEADILY, AND WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP PREVENT IT AND TREAT IT BESIDES PUTTING IN A UV STERILIZER.

doggiestlist
11/01/2006, 07:48 PM
its vertually impossible to erraticate ich from a fish 100 % but i have found with all of my tangs feeding good quality foods will help drasticly in prevention or help if even i a small outbreak accures..i found the best preventative ias thera +A pellets by spectrum these are a non medicated antiparesitic formula food ..but after doing an extencive comparison of prepaired foods of many forms i found this particular formula to be to most nutritional and balanced of all foods made for marine fish ..a daily feeding schedule of 3 times per day well help keep your fish healthy and happy you may also suppliment with additional prepared foods such as emerald entrese and formula 2 .all frozen prepared foods i thaw and soak in garlic extreme and selcon before feeding..these are given every 2- 3 days

paeSona
11/01/2006, 11:27 PM
thanx alot bro i have the formula 2 with new 2% added garlic and i heard if a tang gets ich you can feed it strait up garlic.but thanx for the info

George Gouveia
11/02/2006, 10:28 AM
regarding the use of garlic...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

JamesJR
11/02/2006, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8460176#post8460176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doggiestlist
its vertually impossible to erraticate ich from a fish 100 % but i have found with all of my tangs feeding good quality foods will help drasticly in prevention or help if even i a small outbreak accures..i found the best preventative ias thera +A pellets by spectrum these are a non medicated antiparesitic formula food ..but after doing an extencive comparison of prepaired foods of many forms i found this particular formula to be to most nutritional and balanced of all foods made for marine fish ..a daily feeding schedule of 3 times per day well help keep your fish healthy and happy you may also suppliment with additional prepared foods such as emerald entrese and formula 2 .all frozen prepared foods i thaw and soak in garlic extreme and selcon before feeding..these are given every 2- 3 days

That is flat out WRONG! Ich (cryptocaryon irritans) is an obligate parasite! It must have fish to host on otherwise Ich will die! And if your fish are never exposed to it, they will NEVER catch it! So quarantine your fish! and medicate them, that way your main tank will not have outbreaks of it. The best thing to do is quarantine your fish and not hope that their diet helps prevent ich.

You are right about giving your fish a broad diet. Tangs graze and feed continuously through out the entire day. I second Selcon as an excellent product to help fortify your tangs diet. This is really important for tangs so that you can help prevent Head and Lateral Line Erosion, HLLE, which does appear to be diet related and tangs are especially prone to this malady.

BTTRFLYGRL
11/02/2006, 12:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8464059#post8464059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JamesJR
That is flat out WRONG! Ich (cryptocaryon irritans) is an obligate parasite! It must have fish to host on otherwise Ich will die! And if your fish are never exposed to it, they will NEVER catch it! So quarantine your fish! and medicate them, that way your main tank will not have outbreaks of it. The best thing to do is quarantine your fish and not hope that their diet helps prevent ich.

You are right about giving your fish a broad diet. Tangs graze and feed continuously through out the entire day. I second Selcon as an excellent product to help fortify your tangs diet. This is really important for tangs so that you can help prevent Head and Lateral Line Erosion, HLLE, which does appear to be diet related and tangs are especially prone to this malady.

I agree!! It is possible to eradicate ich by removing and treating the fish and leaving the main fallow.
No amount of stress will cause an ich outbreak if the ich is not there.

VitaChem is a great vitamin product. I alternate this with Selcon.

Paesona,
Yes ich can kill your fish if you don't take proper steps to eliminate it

emperior911
11/02/2006, 01:38 PM
i agree with doggiestlist

BTTRFLYGRL
11/02/2006, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8465101#post8465101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by emperior911
i agree with doggiestlist

Not sure why..Fact are facts.. Enough research and studies have been done on ich and its life cycle to prove it can be eliminated.
Fact is there are other opportunistic pathogens that live in our aquariums. Ones that live in harmony with the fish until problems arise. Ich is not one of them. If its there, it will continue to reproduce quickly and can kill the fish.

doggiestlist
11/02/2006, 02:58 PM
the only whay your going to know that your fish is 100% paresite free is to do a gill culture..then you will know what is living in harmony on your fish but the common hobbiest is not going to do this for each indevidual species he houses..just because a fish is not showing signs of duress doesnt mean it doesnt have company living on him.. there have many cases if fish left in hypo for months on end that still end up with ich or other paresites ..diseases ect..all we can do is the best we can for these captive fish ..in preventing an out break whether you agree with me or not on this subject ..this of this as a food thought scenario for those of you that have set up tanks quarentined everything..when cycling a tank it is normaly left fish free for a few months..obviously no paresites are going to be in this system right? now you have you LR this added froma system that is also normally cured in large bins of water no fish right? right this takes at least 30 days or more..now you bring in fish..put them in qt for a month or so no signs of illness ok fish must be free of anything..some ppl use hypo as a form of qt thers use dips some even go as far a copper treatment before ever adding these fish to DT..if you have corals most ppl qt these or do fw dips to get rid of hitchikers..everything has been treated as a potentual threat to spread disease paresites ect.. now you add these together ..i have sean others state they have mad every precaution to prevent spreading of anything unsesirable ..how come these tanks are still reporting signs of paresitic attacks? beleive how you wish its your options but the truth be told even the experts have no clue in this matter.its a never ending dabate within the hobbiest and the scientific world.. mother nature didnt create these creatures for us to understand they are here for her to admire.

bureau13
11/02/2006, 04:59 PM
Uhhh...I'd be interested in some examples of the many cases where people have properly followed the QT and treatment processes and still ended up with ich. You can't just say "other parasites" because hypo, in your example, is not a treatment for all parasites. It is however a treatment for ich.

jds

JamesJR
11/02/2006, 06:53 PM
Just nonsense....

BTTRFLYGRL
11/02/2006, 07:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8465723#post8465723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doggiestlist
the only whay your going to know that your fish is 100% paresite free is to do a gill culture..then you will know what is living in harmony on your fish but the common hobbiest is not going to do this for each indevidual species he houses..just because a fish is not showing signs of duress doesnt mean it doesnt have company living on him.. there have many cases if fish left in hypo for months on end that still end up with ich or other paresites ..diseases ect..all we can do is the best we can for these captive fish ..in preventing an out break whether you agree with me or not on this subject ..this of this as a food thought scenario for those of you that have set up tanks quarentined everything..when cycling a tank it is normaly left fish free for a few months..obviously no paresites are going to be in this system right? now you have you LR this added froma system that is also normally cured in large bins of water no fish right? right this takes at least 30 days or more..now you bring in fish..put them in qt for a month or so no signs of illness ok fish must be free of anything..some ppl use hypo as a form of qt thers use dips some even go as far a copper treatment before ever adding these fish to DT..if you have corals most ppl qt these or do fw dips to get rid of hitchikers..everything has been treated as a potentual threat to spread disease paresites ect.. now you add these together ..i have sean others state they have mad every precaution to prevent spreading of anything unsesirable ..how come these tanks are still reporting signs of paresitic attacks? beleive how you wish its your options but the truth be told even the experts have no clue in this matter.its a never ending dabate within the hobbiest and the scientific world.. mother nature didnt create these creatures for us to understand they are here for her to admire.

I agree Bureau13,
If people properly treat ich in a qt and leave the tank fallow and STILL have problems..Its probably not ich.
People see white spots and think it HAS to be ich..many other parasites cause 'white spots'

JamesJR
11/02/2006, 09:05 PM
I am stating that the fish cannot get Ich if they are not exposed to the parasite. Period. I agree that in practice this can be very difficult to do. I think that saying this is a debate between the hobbiest world and the scientist world is hogwash. Without science, the hobby as we know it wouldn't exist. My experiences as a scientist/chemist has only enhanced my abilities as an aquarist. But I know that being a hobbyist and a scientist is really two distinct entities. Science has its limitations. I agree but some understanding is better than none. Besides, you have to take things as they are. Hobbyists can make great aquarists but may not know beans about the workings of how an organism functions just as an expert marine biologist may not know squat about how to actually keep the organism alive in a fish tank.
What I think is the real issue, and I am sure I'm not alone, is that the medicines and methods we use to treat our aquarium fish for ich are very primitive and on the whole rather lousy.