PDA

View Full Version : Hydroids and Aiptasia questions

MrSpiffy
10/31/2006, 05:34 PM
I have what appears to be a hydroid in my tank, and I'm unsure what to do about it. Here's a pic of it:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/122069hydroid_-_small.JPG

1. Is this a hydroid?

2. If so, should I be concerned and want to kill it?

3. If I should want to kill this thing, what would be a good or best way to kill the pest?

Now... I also have a question or few regarding aiptasia anemones. It seems I got a couple babies on a frag of zoos I recently purchased. They're very small, both being about 1/4" high or so. I found a 3rd (actually, the first one I found) which I chiseled off of the rock, trying not to damage it so it couldn't multiply. My questions are:

4. What's the best/cheapest way to kill the baby aiptasia? I hear Joe's Juice works wonders, and kalk will work, too. Boiling water...? Vinegar? What's gonna do the job, here?

5. If this requires injecting the anemone with something, which I assume it will, where is the best place to get a syringe? I hear pharmacies may be willing to sell them, but Walgreens wouldn't unless I was planning on using it for medicinal purposes.

6. Will syringes work on something this tiny? Or should I just wait until they're larger? I don't want them reproducing like rabbits, so the sooner I can kill them, the better.

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for no pics of the aiptasia. My camera isn't exactly quality, if you know what I mean.

Paintbug
10/31/2006, 06:18 PM
Ball Anemone Pseudocorynactis spp.
Often called Anemones, but they are in fact Corallimorphs (Mushrooms). These will eat small snails, and shrimps.They reproduce by fission. Personally I will let a few live on a couple of rock, but once they spread out more I will kill them with some Joe's Juice. I will call them harmless, for now.

heres some info on them. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

i use Joes Juice for aiptasia as well. it comes with a syringe to use. just cover the mouth, and it goes away. just dont kill off to many at once.

MrSpiffy
10/31/2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I'll see if I can pick up some Joe's Juice tonight and see how it goes! It looks like I have 2 small ones, and this one ball anemone. Hopefully that'll be the end of it all.