PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dead fish is polluting water, nitrates are way too high.

xunkn0vvnx
10/31/2006, 03:52 PM
I have had a fish that has gone missing for the past 4 days. I am scared it has deceased. I have taken apart the tank but no to avail found absolutely nothing. I have tested my water and nitrates are extremely high.

I have been doing frequent water changes to take down the nitrates but it returns within a couple of days.

I have added a nitrate sponge, but was wondering if I should add any invertebrates to help reduce the nitrates or also use certain recommended chemicals to reduce the amount of nitrates which is causing brown algae.

redmonkey0019
10/31/2006, 03:56 PM
Make sure you check all of your filtration equipment, im not sure what your set up envolves, but check things suck as overflows and ect. As for the nitrate levels, keep testing to see if the nitrate sponge is working, and if so maybe do a 10% water change with some RO/DI water to help bring it down some more, if the fish was dead in your tank it is possible that it has been eaten, or could be stuck in some live rock.

nmprisons
10/31/2006, 03:57 PM
how old is your tank? did it cycle? it is possible that the nitrates killed the fish, as opposed to the fish causing the nitrates.

what are you tank specs?
what are you water parameters?

xunkn0vvnx
10/31/2006, 04:12 PM
46 gallon bowfront, with bag filter to 10 gallon sump, corallife super skimmer, and rio pump.

Last time the fish was sucked into the overflow and I found it in the bag filter. I checked everywhere and could not find it. It is a small firefly fish.

I am using Catalina water, is that good instead of RO/DI water?
How large of a nitrate sponge should I use, is there such thing as too much?

redmonkey0019
10/31/2006, 04:39 PM
Im not familiar with Catalina water, what is it? But as far as i know RO/DI is the best thing you can use. If its a very small fish, it could be in rockwork, it would be very hardto find it, how long has your tank been set up for? I agree that the nitrates could have killed your fish and not the other way around, as far as the nitrate sponge, it should have a rocommendation for what size per gallon of water, and I usually use just a little more than the recommendation for things like that, what are your other levels at, ph, nitrite, ammonia and such?

Craig Lambert
10/31/2006, 04:46 PM
"I am using Catalina water, is that good instead of RO/DI water?"

Catalina water is saltwater. What are you using to top off evaporated water.

redmonkey0019
10/31/2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info on catalina water, i have never heard of it, is it any good?

Craig Lambert
10/31/2006, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8452532#post8452532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redmonkey0019
Thanks for the info on catalina water, i have never heard of it, is it any good?

I have no experience with it. I mix my own.

SahuaritaMike
10/31/2006, 06:25 PM
Catalina water worked great for me everytime I have used it but be sure you use Ro water for top off, made that mistake with the catalina water and my Sg slowly crept to 1.027 nothing major, about your fish by any chance is it a firefish (not firefly) if so they are nown jumpers and could have jumped out the tank and been eaten by say a cat or dog.... Just a thought.... Good luck

Michael

nmprisons
10/31/2006, 07:00 PM
What are your tank parameters?

How long have you had the tank?

Did it ever cycle?

Mighty Dread
10/31/2006, 08:03 PM
I have had fish (much bigger than a firefly) die in my tank and I just left them in there for food for the scavengers. I never had a nitrate or any other kid of problem. The shrimp, crabs and worms made quick work of them.

You should be concerned about other things other than finding a dead fish. Do a large water change and test all your parameters and clean everything else that you can (filters and such).

IMO I don't beleive that a single decaying fish would cause these problems.

sfilingeri
10/31/2006, 08:18 PM
I had a firefish and it jumped out of my tank the same night i purchased it..............

I was like you and couldnt find it and was shy short of tearing my entire tank apart, until i found it it was bearly noticeble.

I would look behind tank really good especially if you have carpet-where it meets the wall.

xunkn0vvnx
10/31/2006, 08:22 PM
I use catalina water as top off water.

My current parameters are
Alk 7.0 DkH
Ca 360
PH 7.4
Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 3

Is there anyway I can buy RO/DI water in stores?

Do I need RO/DI for top off water? Should I add kalkwasser?

scarpenter
10/31/2006, 08:46 PM
use prime be Seachem. Add a capful to your sump. It will take down the nitrate level.

TrojanScott
10/31/2006, 08:49 PM
If you have any sort of cleanup crew, they should have made quick work of a dead firefly.

Craig Lambert
10/31/2006, 11:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8453856#post8453856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xunkn0vvnx
I use catalina water as top off water.

My current parameters are
Alk 7.0 DkH
Ca 360
PH 7.4
Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 3

Is there anyway I can buy RO/DI water in stores?

Do I need RO/DI for top off water? Should I add kalkwasser?

You are topping off your water with saltwater. How long have you been doing this? Your SG is probably off the charts and responsible for the death. Check your SG.

nmprisons
10/31/2006, 11:40 PM
your nitrate is fine, i bet your sg is really hi though

fishysteve
11/01/2006, 08:31 AM
I think your pH is low. Wouldn't 8.0 to 8.3 be better?