PDA

View Full Version : Help me with xmas gift for husband!

oicu2
10/31/2006, 01:34 PM
Every year I get my husband the same thing... shirts, music DVDs and tools. This year I want to get him something unexpected. The problem is I don't have a clue where to start. Here is a brief background on him: He is a work-a-holic in the construction business (which he hates by the way). I've given him tools in the past but learned quick that was not the way to go. When he does find time he spends Friday nights at his cousin's house with a few other friends and has what I call a jam session. He plays drums. He's not in a band but still likes to play for the exercise and a little guy's night out. It's a bonding thing I think. His favorite bands are Rush and LedZepplin. He likes the classic rock not the new stuff that is out today. I've given him various music DVDs of live concerts of his favorite bands and he has always appreciated it but expected that was what I was giving him. I've also bought him stuff for his drums. One year I bought him a t-shirt that said "I don't want to work... I just want to bang on my drums all day". You know, like the song. He wears that shirt often because I think that is how he truly feels about music. He is a faithful Bill O'Reilly fan and likes to watch science documentaries and old western movies. (Stuff his parents would have watched). I bought him an O'Reilly t-shirt and cap and he never wore it once. He does not like spending money because as he says, " Money is too hard to come by". He likes homecooked meals and doesn't mind trying new food. He is always complaining about cholesterol in foods and how unhealthy it is to eat at fastfood places. Last but not least, he is a huge New Orleans Saints fan. He seems to like the Saints gifts.

This year I want to get him something unexpected. If anyone out there can give me some ideas I would greatly appreciate it. He really is a hard working man who is underappreciated.

Thanks,
Katherine

AdidaKev
10/31/2006, 01:52 PM
Get him Saints tickets.

oicu2
10/31/2006, 01:53 PM
I would love to have done that but they are sold out for the whole season. But, a good idea for next year.

geekreef_05
10/31/2006, 01:54 PM
lingere

Fat Man
10/31/2006, 01:58 PM
Socks and underwear.

Bungle
10/31/2006, 01:58 PM
1) If he is a home theater guy, then these all in one remotes are the bomb. They literally control everything easily.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=logitech+harmony&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

2)How about an iPod nano.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16888101003

3)This beef jerky is awesome, my favorite is Sassy Sal flavor.
http://www.jerkyhut.com/cgi-bin/commerce-pro/commerce_pro/commerce_pro.cgi?page=products_page.html&cart_id=823501_9394

4) Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=sennheiser&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

5) Eddie Bauer makes some of the best jackets in my opinion. Usually kind of low-profile.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/cat_replacement.asp?nv=2|21472|16&cm_cg=C16&tid=&c=&page=1&lp=p2g001
6) Add a cowbell to the drumset.. Seriously! It can be a fun addition
http://www.pearldrum.com/2002_techspeak/cowbells.asp

7) Red Ryder BB gun to shoot cans in the backyard lol

8) Beer drinker? Get some pub style beer glasses

9) New Fossil watch perhaps?

10) Maxim subscription or Playboy

11) DVD trilogy (ie: Star Wars Lord of the Rings)

12) Kick-Butt grill set

Thats all I can think of for now...

hubris007
10/31/2006, 02:00 PM
http://plannedchaos.org/fvt-sexy-santa-250.jpg

AdidaKev
10/31/2006, 02:11 PM
You could still get tickets from somewhere. A broker or a friend might have some to sell. Check your newspaper's "For Sale" section; you might find some there.

griss
10/31/2006, 02:13 PM
Also check out the Saints website. The St Louis Cardinals have an area of their site where season ticket holders can sell tickets that they are not able to use. Maybe the Saints have something similiar.

rvitko
10/31/2006, 02:33 PM
My vote is for tools- this is my favorite wrench set i own, you can probably get both sets for about $280 if you shop around. Expensive but there is nothing like them.

SK G Spline Wrenches

http://www.skhandtool.com/productcatalog.cfm?tok=1

rvitko
10/31/2006, 02:35 PM
It won't let me link straight to them but the reversible G Spline is what I would go with, they work even on bolts that are rounded off. The Facom ratchets are nice too, they are bulky but with 72 tooth gearing it takes less than 1 degree of movement to get over to the next tooth and in a tight spot that is really handy.

Nina51
10/31/2006, 03:01 PM
a one hour massage.

Kevomac
10/31/2006, 03:29 PM
Try Stubhub.com for Saints tickets, maybe? They advertise locally (in Texas), but I bet they're national.

Kevomac
10/31/2006, 03:30 PM
Check this out. (Didn't look at prices, just what's out there.)

http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSearch?searchStr=saints+&pageNumber=1&resultsPerPage=50

dkh0331
10/31/2006, 03:47 PM
I second Nina's suggestion. I've recieved a massage for both my birthday and for fathers day. It was great.

David

petoonia
11/01/2006, 12:59 AM
OMG you just described my husband. He's an electrician, plays drums, and loves Rush!!! If he wasnt a Redskins fan I'd really be wondering right now.LOL

How about an Xbox 360, (and some shoot and blow things up games.) My hubby always likes new toys at christmas.

Neil Peart the drummer for Rush has 2 DVDs out, my husband watches them over and over. There are also some books out about Rush, and some written by Neil Peart. Check out amazon.com for these.

Check out the online NFL store they usually have some great stuff, but do it early because the stuff always sells out fast.

oicu2
11/02/2006, 07:54 AM
Lots of great ideas everyone. Husbris, my husband would laugh at me in that thing. I will check out the Saints tickets again. The massage is something that he could really use but would never take the time out to get even if it was free. Petoonia, that is scary. I bet they'd get along great. Is your husband also a Ford truck man, mine is. I will check out the Neil Peart stuff. He is a huge fan. Bungle, I will go down your list. You seem to have some good ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Katherine

SW1TCH
11/02/2006, 10:18 AM
If your husband is into playing music than see if you can get him some time in a local recording stuido so thay can make a cd for fun.

Muttling
11/02/2006, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8463736#post8463736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SW1TCH
If your husband is into playing music than see if you can get him some time in a local recording stuido so thay can make a cd for fun.

Ewwwww....That's a really cool idea IMO. Here in Knoxville, there used to be a studio that caters to this type of thing and it wasn't ridiculously expensive as I recall.

Sk8r
11/02/2006, 10:51 AM
Get them a gig at a local watering hole, complete with buffet, a party for all the gang and a night to remember.

oicu2
11/02/2006, 02:52 PM
Actually, my husband was in a band many years ago and they did make a cd. It was pretty good but nothing became of it. As much as he would like to play music for a living, he knows that the dream is not going to happen with a wife and kids along with his age.

Lazyreefer
11/02/2006, 04:47 PM
[edited]

edit - Uhm, how about you re-read the UA...specifically the part about RC being a family friendly site. - Q!!!

jessp
11/02/2006, 05:28 PM
lazyreefer that was rude to say outloud,

how about a reggie bush jersey thats like one of the number one selling jerseys in the nfl nowadays. and since he is a saints fan it would be fitting.

if you live near a capitol grille take him there for dinner, it is super good steaks and a real manly mans kinda restauraunt, and it is not that unhealthy. although it is expensive, but since you seem to be wanting to go all out give it a try. the price would be good motivation to leave kids home, and have a romantic date and have desert made for him at home. like you take him on the date and don't make him worry about the plans

start w/ jersey
than dinner (capitol grille perfect manly place)
than candlelight desert.
whats happens from there is your business

btw since it is x-mas gift obviously the dinner would need to be another day i seemed to forget that part

emilye2
11/02/2006, 05:33 PM
Does he like to fish? A chartered fishing trip for him and a buddy might be a nice way for him to unwind.

Lazyreefer
11/02/2006, 05:55 PM
ummm...... sorry :)

oicu2
11/02/2006, 07:55 PM
He likes to fish but works too much to go. The kids bought him a tackle box for his birthday and it is still sitting on the floor where he opened it. We even bought a pontoon (party barge) boat last year but only used it once. The kids have been begging him to take it out all summer long but he always finds an excuse not to, so I told him if he doesn't want to use it just sell it. But, he still insists that "one day" he'll take the kids out fishing on it. (Our oldest is graduating from highschool this year and will be moving out soon for college) Do you all see what I am up against here? He's so darn picky! I'm tempted just to put coal in his stockings. Keep the ideas coming though. I'm still checking into some of your ideas but have yet to decide.

Fat Man
11/02/2006, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8467777#post8467777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oicu2
He likes to fish but works too much to go. The kids bought him a tackle box for his birthday and it is still sitting on the floor where he opened it. We even bought a pontoon (party barge) boat last year but only used it once. The kids have been begging him to take it out all summer long but he always finds an excuse not to, so I told him if he doesn't want to use it just sell it.

There is something wrong with this picture, too busy to take the kids fishing?

Now I mean this in a good way, what you need to give him is a good swift kick in the tookus. He works too much if he can't go fishing. :D

oicu2
11/03/2006, 08:20 AM
I agree fatman! But, my husband is the type of person who is always worried about paying the bills. I work too but don't make much. His father was like that with him when he was growing up. Believe me I have been trying to break him of this habit for the 17 years we've been married without much success. I've always told him that the kids are going to grow up before his eyes and when he is finally ready to spend time with them, they will have grown up and moved out.

You know, I was just thinking of a time for one father's day,when the kids were younger, that they each handmade a fathers day card for him. They each wrote their own words in the cards. He teared up, which was a surprise because he's not one to get emotional. Maybe I should do something around the kids for xmas. Something that they could handmake from their hearts. I think he would appreciate something that they made rather than bought especially with him being as old school as he is. But what!

Any ideas?

emilye2
11/03/2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.personalcreations.com/shop/thumbnail.asp?world_code=3&category_code=413&subcategory_code=413&search_type=subcategory

all sorts of goodies there!

Fat Man
11/03/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8470455#post8470455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oicu2
You know, I was just thinking of a time for one father's day,when the kids were younger, that they each handmade a fathers day card for him. They each wrote their own words in the cards. He teared up, which was a surprise because he's not one to get emotional. Maybe I should do something around the kids for xmas. Something that they could handmake from their hearts. I think he would appreciate something that they made rather than bought especially with him being as old school as he is. But what!

Any ideas?

I think you've found your answer. As far as what, let the kids decide.

Minuteman
11/03/2006, 12:54 PM
Get him a nice 120gal AGA with all the fixins... :)

english83
11/03/2006, 03:17 PM
I like the simple things. I'm 23 and Craig is 21. For his last birthday I got him a Lego Batman thing. It was easy, fun, and he didn't have to think about anything while he was puting it together. I also gave him a ceramic dragon that I painted while in Mexico. I normaly walk around a mall and whatever strikes my fancy is what people get. It's fun to be random.

You could cook a 5 course meal with new foods or a theme. Like French, Irish, Italian, Hawaian Luau (sp?), whatever you want.
The kids could take him hostage for a day, they plan everything, drive, everything. And your husband can't know whats going to happen next. They could agree on a Saturday, or you could pick one for a bigger surprise.

tdog44632
11/03/2006, 03:37 PM
Get him DVD of favorite TV series when young something off beat, jonny sokko and his flying robot, Ultraman, Space 1999, Ponderosa, Hogans Heroes. Ebay has tons of old serials in black and white, Flash Gordon , Buck Rodgers, Old westerns. IF he Likes a certain type of Alcohol get him something premium(Single Barrel Bourbon, Single malt Scotch, Premium rum or vodka)

Tony