PDA

View Full Version : Source for Coral Propogation Supplies?

NaughtyCashew
10/31/2006, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase tools for propogating corals in the San Jose area? A few of mine are growing a bit too close for their own good.

What sort of things should I be looking for?

Thanks!

bookfish
10/31/2006, 03:33 PM
Depends on the corals in question of course but I generally use:

SPS
cuticle clippers, wire cutters, wet tile saw (when avail) Dremel, screwdriver (slotted) cold chisels and hammer. Also glue and plugs.

LPS
All the above plus razor blades to cut flesh instead of tearing (wipe oil off new blades)

SOFTIES/ZOOS/SHROOMS
All the above plus rubber bands and bridal veil.
Also, Fiskar sm pruning shears.
hth-J

NaughtyCashew
11/02/2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks!

What would you recommend for cutting Digitata? I also have some encrusted corals that I would like to pry off, any techniques for that?

jedininja
11/02/2006, 04:45 PM
Just snapping digitata with pliers or a wire cutter works well. If you want a cleaner cut, remove it from the wter and use a dremel.

Encrusting is the toughest. But a dremel will work, just cut the rock under and through the coral.

GreshamH
11/02/2006, 04:57 PM
I simply break off frags of digi with my fingers, no tools needed :)

NaughtyCashew
11/02/2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Would you recommend a Dremel for M. Capricornis? or is the "grab 'n snap" sufficient for that as well?

How do you control heat w/ the dremel? Do you run it on Hi or Low settings, special cutting wheels?

Qwiv
11/02/2006, 05:34 PM
it is better to break most SPS corals in lieu of cutting them. Most farmers I have talked to feel it heals and sprouts new heads faster than a clean cut. Most cite how they tend to break at a polyp which enchorages growth. I have personally never seen the difference, but breaking is easier, so I do it that way.

Dremel is your best friend with enchrusting corals

NaughtyCashew
11/02/2006, 06:48 PM
Maybe this should be a new thread now, but how do you use the Dremel? What speeds work best? What cutting wheels cause the least damage?

Last time I tried cutting a montipora danae I nearly lost the whole colony.

Qwiv
11/03/2006, 10:40 AM
You want to go slow enough so that it doesn't get so hot that the coral burns. Keep it wet and cool, so go slow. The little cutting wheels work fine, but the bigger ones work even better. On corals like an acan, it is better to trim the flesh between the heads as best as you can with a knife before you cut.