PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads and Water Movement

Dollarbill
10/31/2006, 09:38 AM
Can someone give me an idea of what might be the best place to put my powerhead(s)? I have 2 Loc Line returns, 1 pointed toward the left and only about 1 inch underwater & 1 pointed toward the front and down at a 45 degree angle. I also have a Powersweep power head (ZooMed, the biggest one they make) on the other side of the tank but nothing else. I will be buying more powerheads soon but do not want a tank full of wires either. Oh its a 180 bow 6' x 2' x 2' Any Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your help. db

Tate
10/31/2006, 10:25 AM
Everyone's flow and directions are different, so you have to find what makes the most "random" flow. Pointing the powerhead at one of the loclines would cause two currents to meet and make some random current action.

skeeter_ca
10/31/2006, 11:12 AM
Depends largely on what your goals are. FOWLR, Softies, LPS, SPS. All can require different flows in different areas. I have 2 MJ1200 placed on each side of my tank controlled by a NaturalWave and then the return line goes through a Ocean Motions 4-way squirt in all 4 corners. It gives me high flow areas, random areas, and low flow areas. I plan on having a mixed tank. If you plan on having corals i would up the flow. Maybe get a NaturalWave wavemaker and at least 4 mj1200 to start. Just my $.02.

aquadw

geekreef_05
10/31/2006, 11:32 AM
the keys of circulation:
- make sure there are no deadspots
- try to create as much turbulent current as possible
- attempt to create as much surface aggrigation as possible

keep those in mind, and you should be fine.