PDA

View Full Version : 1 chromis?

Teremei
10/29/2006, 11:36 PM
I want to stay away from a "school" because of how they usually kill eachother. However I would like 1 green chromis for variety. I do have 2 damsels. A pair of timed occelaris so he won't be perfectly lonely.

Have any of you ever added just 1 reef chromis? And has it done well for you, swimming alot?

reefnetworth
10/30/2006, 12:25 AM
im sure one would do fine with the others you have. if you would like to have more than one, watch them in the LFS
(3-5 min) before you buy them. some will school and others will stray. get a couple that stay together and choose them. BTW, they dont kill each other off, they will chase away sick or injured chromis to protect the school. hope this helps , have a good one. ;)

Sk8r
10/30/2006, 12:27 AM
I added one blue chromis, and he's a delight, well-behaved, and high-colored: the dominant of any group tends to be, and he is, of course, master of his small ocean---just ask him. He kites constantly back and forth and around the cave and back, hoping for manna to drop, and is energetic and perfectly happy.

reefnetworth
10/30/2006, 12:36 AM
i have four and they all have their personal cave/hole in the LR at night. during the day they seem to play and school. they dont try to hurt each other, just playing like kids. lol!

jpitts101
10/30/2006, 12:41 AM
i had 20 and down to 1 now. it killed all the rest and my clownfish fed them to my anemone. it does great, its about an inch and a half and swims around with my 8 inch tangs, it thinks its a big fish too. you should be fine.

Teremei
10/30/2006, 12:47 AM
thanks for the opinions all. There always seems to be a conflict of information. Some saying groups do well but for every 1 comment of that there is an opposite story of 1 or 2 killing all the rest.

Which one is yours btw sk8r? Is it a green or a blue reef chromis? Which one of those would be the most active/energetic?

Teremei
10/30/2006, 12:48 AM
nevermind you said blue, sorry. :D. Any prefereces all? Blue, green? I had 4 green in my 55 and found them boring so I will prob try a blue this time. .

Sk8r
10/30/2006, 12:56 AM
I'm particularly fond of the blues because it's a rare color in a coral reef: there's always a lot of green, but that bright azure blue is a little scarcer,and he stands out well. I don't think there's any particular difference.