PDA

View Full Version : It is an all out war!!!! Anyway to get a peace treaty?

MalawiMd
10/27/2006, 07:27 PM
Okay, here is the deal....

I bought two maroon clowns from the pet store. They were in the same tank and were tank raised. Anyway, they looked like the two best ones. So, I dropped them in my tank and let them be.

That was exactly one week ago. They got along great. Then today right after I fed them all hell broke loose. There was chasing, biting and scales flying. I tried to separate them but it was no use. Both of the little fud puckers were too fast. Finally I just shut off all the lights and put them to sleep. Then I snuck in and captured one of them and threw it in my quarantine tank.

So, here is the question: Do I need to get rid of one of them or is there some sort of marital counseling for fish?

Please give me some suggestions

Thanks

fantastic4
10/27/2006, 11:42 PM
Read here on RC that someone kept a breathable acrylic cage for this very reason, they placed one in the acrylic cage for a few days and then switched, it worked, the two eventually paired up. Not sure if this ultimately would lead to stress out the caged fish to death or not, but the RC member claimed it worked. GL (assuming of course they not equal sizes, and I have the feeling that the smaller one was a juvi).

MalawiMd
10/28/2006, 07:58 AM
They are the same size. Does that matter?

fantastic4
10/28/2006, 12:13 PM
I'm not an expert, but after reading for a while on pairing up clowns... If you are trying to mate them, one should always be bigger then the other so that one takes on the female role and vice versa. Now if the clowns are older, this may pose a little bit of a problem as changing sexes I believe is a bit slower. If your not trying to mate, then you may have to distract the two by adding more of the same -- but this is not a reasonable answer, so you may have to seperate. The stickey clown faq above has a lot on info on pairing and fighting.

Mud Shrimp Moe
10/28/2006, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8431600#post8431600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalawiMd
They are the same size. Does that matter?

Yes.

Read the resources rec'd above. You might need to trade one back for a much smaller one.