View Full Version : tank

vr697getta
10/26/2006, 07:07 PM
does anybody use quarantine tank for a new fish
elmers has told me this the 2 time i bought fish from them
i want to know is it really needed cause i don't have the room

wee-reefer
10/26/2006, 08:21 PM
It's a good idea, it keeps the already healthy fish in your tank from getting sick. Plus you can not use meds in the display once your fish catch the cooties. It's the best way to prevent sickness.

vr697getta
10/26/2006, 08:27 PM
what size is your quarantine tank
do you think a 10 gallon would do the job

wee-reefer
10/26/2006, 08:41 PM
A ten gallon with a glass cover, a seasoned sponge filter, a heater and some non-calcerious decorations would do. You don't want sand or live rock in the tank if you can help it. Many meds will get absorbed into them, and the sand can acctually help ick and other parasites to breed, by giving them a substrate to complete their life cycles.

I wouldn't advise trying to squeeze more than one fish in the QT at a time, because of aggression and other factors. You want to make sure the fish in there will eat what you offer, and is healthy for at least 30 days before you add them to the display. I only have a ten gallon right now, with room for one fish. When I set my 120 back up, I will be sure to QT eveyone I put in there. It's a great way to protect your investment (either monetarily, or the lives of the fish) of what you put in the 110. Jen

vr697getta
10/26/2006, 08:50 PM
ok thanks for the info Jen

pixierealm
10/27/2006, 08:24 AM
so you don't have to cycle the QT tank? I'm setting a small one up before I get my clowns in a couple of weeks. They'll be okay if I just throw it up and let it go? should I add cycle bacteria or something?
I can't wait for this seminar tomorrow morning, I have SO much to learn!!

raynist
10/27/2006, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8425710#post8425710 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pixierealm
so you don't have to cycle the QT tank? I'm setting a small one up before I get my clowns in a couple of weeks. They'll be okay if I just throw it up and let it go? should I add cycle bacteria or something?
I can't wait for this seminar tomorrow morning, I have SO much to learn!!

Yes you need to cycle it. If you have a sponge filter that has been in an established tank for several weeks you might not need to, but if you throw 2 clowns in a 10g uncycled tank they may very well die.

--Ray

Steven Pro
10/27/2006, 12:52 PM
Here is a lot more information on quarantine, http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

vr697getta
10/27/2006, 08:00 PM
i will used my water out of my tank
that is allready cycled