PDA

View Full Version : catching a bad fish

fload
10/22/2006, 02:54 AM
i need help i cant catch this fish! ive tried acrylic fish trap and net and my hand and nothing helps hes so fast and smart! anyone have a small harpoon? i never should have bought a damsel :mad2: taking out the rock is not an option... anyone have any ideas?

lotus02
10/22/2006, 07:32 AM
Use a big plastic pop bottle , cut the bottom off ,and the top spout ,leaving a hole just big enough for the fish to get into, invert that inside the bottle replace the bottom. You got a trap.
Don't feed the tank for a day or two the put some shrimp in the trap damsel will go in to get the food may take a while but it will get hungry and go in. After you catch it support the bottom when removing the trap or place it in a large net , the bottom may(will) fall off when removing it from the tank.

BTTRFLYGRL
10/22/2006, 07:54 AM
I hope you plan on taking him to the LFS or finding him a new home..Damsels are mean, not his fault..He is behaving as he should....

ericwebster
10/22/2006, 08:29 AM
They keep my QT nice and cycled for me.

When I have a need for the QT I put them in a breeder net (cage) in the main display.

ericwebster
10/22/2006, 08:33 AM
oh BTW..

The soda bottle also worked for me. Mine would not go in without hesitation but they did. Make sure the hole you cut in the top is big enough for the food scent to get out and curious fish in.

Also I relied on speed to get them out.. once they went in I pulled the string which changed the orientation of the bottle and it confused the fish then I just reeled them in.

One of my maroons figured out that there was food in it and I didn't want him .. so he would come and go as he pleased .. eating all the food .. but the other fish noticed this and got interested.

Just make sure there hungry. They will go in there.

jsc4354
10/22/2006, 09:59 AM
I just got 3 damsels out of my tank yesterday and returned them to the store for a credit. To get them I only cut the top off of a 2 liter plastic coke bottle, removed the label, placed some food in the 2 liter and placed on the floor of the tank horizontly. Afterwards, I waited for them to swim in the 2 liter for food and would quickly trap them by dropping the net over the top. It was also feeding day so they were hungry.

John C.

conefree
10/22/2006, 10:23 AM
I ended up draining my tank almost empty and netted him out that way. Mean little bugger!