PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the SQWD

Liquid Hobby
10/20/2006, 05:06 PM
So, I'm rethinking my return strategy. It currently have a SQWD in the sump directly off the pump with 2 separate lines to each return nozzle (front corners facing towards back of tank). FYI: I also have a closed loop with a center drain and 2 outlets that each branch off for a total of 4 CL outlets, all along the back wall.

I've got the SQWD to create some random flow but don't like the barb fittings. It's rather awkward with all the Ts and vinyl tubing and clamps! All I see are tubing/clamp failures and spraying water in the future...

What are the alternatives for randomizing my return flow?

T

sjm817
10/20/2006, 05:21 PM
Seaswirl, Wavey Sea, or my preference, the Oceansmotions Squirt.

Liquid Hobby
10/20/2006, 05:30 PM
Do all of them have a 2 way option?

Liquid Hobby
10/20/2006, 05:40 PM
Disreragd the previous question.

I see now why th eSQWD is rather popular at less than a 1/3 the price of the alternatives!

I found the Seaswirl, I like it!

Nothing on the wavey sea

The oceanmotions are nice too...

The single SeaSwirl may be the best solution as it uses the least amount of plumbing!

An oceanmotions 4 way will be on order for tank number 2 as I've learned so much just in setting my current one up...

clsanchez77
10/20/2006, 06:01 PM
I would recommend only the oceanmotions, either 2 way or 4 way. I myself use Tunze Streams only because I could not setup a closed loop. On my future tank when I upgrade, I am leaning toward Ocean motions.

Chris

Liquid Hobby
10/20/2006, 06:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8382077#post8382077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clsanchez77
I would recommend only the oceanmotions, either 2 way or 4 way. I myself use Tunze Streams only because I could not setup a closed loop. On my future tank when I upgrade, I am leaning toward Ocean motions.

Chris

I hear ya! However, I can't put a OM on the CL, as it's all done at this point. I will have a completely different flow strategy next time!

I'm looking for altenratives for the 2 return lines I have.

rmougey
10/21/2006, 01:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8382332#post8382332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Liquid Hobby
I hear ya! However, I can't put a OM on the CL, as it's all done at this point. I will have a completely different flow strategy next time!

I'm looking for alternatives for the 2 return lines I have.

I put an OceansMotions Super Squirt on my return lines. I capped two outlets, plumbed the remaining two outlets into my return lines, both of which are fed from the single pump to the sump. Creates wonderful alternating flow in the tank.

-Rob

clsanchez77
10/21/2006, 08:09 AM
I put an OceansMotions Super Squirt on my return lines.

That would then be my next suggestion as well.

Chris

sjm817
10/21/2006, 08:22 AM
The Squirt can handle up to 1000 GPH which is more than enough for return pump flow even on large tank.