PDA

View Full Version : Does Salinity Affect Skimmer Performance

FSOL
10/19/2006, 12:01 PM
Two questions guys.
1)Since skimmers don't work in freshwater due to the fact they can't produce bubbles, does this mean the higher the salinity of the tank, the better the skimmer will perform?

2) There's some coraline algae growth inside my skimmer chamber and also some black spots that no matter what I clean it with, they won't go away. Since the inside of the chamber is not smooth and has these rough surfaces, will skimmer performance be affected?

Thanks

UCanDoIt
10/19/2006, 12:11 PM
1) Yes, a little bit better.
2) During your next complete cleaning, run pump and skimmer in a 50% vinegar solution and and within hours, everything should melt away. The pumps should be soaked and cleaned every 3-4 months and the skimmer body every 9-12 months.

FSOL
10/19/2006, 12:36 PM
when you say 50% vinegar, the other 50% should be saltwater or I can just use a bucket and tap water?

Thanks

UCanDoIt
10/19/2006, 01:05 PM
yes, bucket & tap water with 50% vinegar. you can use as little as 10%, but will need to run almost overnight.

FSOL
10/19/2006, 01:30 PM
My skimmer chamber probably holds about 5 gallons of water. So I have to purchase 2.5 gallons of vinegar? Wow. OK, will do.

UCanDoIt
10/19/2006, 01:34 PM
this is if you want to clean it quickly. Costco is really cheap for 2g vinegar $2.99, can't remember if that's the price. you can use as little as 10% solution, but will probably need to run overnight.

FSOL
10/19/2006, 01:41 PM
I want to do it fast so I can use the skimmer again. So just drop the water and vinegar in a bucket, place the whole skimmer and pump in it, and let it run until clean right? If I use hot water, will it work better?

UCanDoIt
10/19/2006, 01:49 PM
If you want it cleaned really quick, some hobbyists use muric (spelling???) acid. I've never used that, vinegar has always worked for me and cheap. If you just use 1g, that would be 20% solution and probably will be OK if you run for a few hours. I pour the vinegar right into the skimmer body and then fill the rest with fresh warm tap water, turn on the pump and let it run. What also helps if you can remove the impeller and shaft from your pumps after you have run them through the skimmer... and soak separately for about an hour afterwards. This is a pretty thorough cleaning.

FSOL
10/19/2006, 01:55 PM
great, I'll try it. I plan to also do major return pump cleaning this weekend. I'm assuming I can run my mag pumps also in this vinegar solution right?

UCanDoIt
10/19/2006, 02:04 PM
yes, that's what i do. :D

drauka99
10/19/2006, 02:07 PM
yes

and I have personally seen how much better my skimmer works with a salinity that is closer to the parameters that are recomended for reefs