PDA

View Full Version : Any adivce on coaxing a tomato clown to host BTA?

JeffersonReef
10/17/2006, 12:24 PM
I have a tomato clowin in my 125.... ive had him for 6 mos or so with no anemone to host. Hes about 3 or 4".

I just got a gbta about 2 weeks ago (which is still smaller in seze... about 3-4"), and I am desperately waiting for the tomato clown to host it!! Any advice on how I can help him along, or do I just have to shut up and wait? :(

Is the anemone too small for the clown to host? I have been feeding the anemone a piece of shrimp every other day or so... trying to get it to grow asap. Bad idea?

LMK what u think.

-TJ

mnollar
10/17/2006, 01:31 PM
Give him time. My clown took 3-4 weeks to even notice the my BTA. Once he did though... Inseparable.

GinaSofia
10/17/2006, 01:35 PM
my clowns have always found their host anemone after I've moved things/LR around.

NicoleC
10/17/2006, 01:55 PM
Feed the BTA for a while, but feed it SMALL pieces. The big pieces are hard to digest and may rot inside the anemone and make it ill.

Your clown may or may not take to an anemone. Only time will tell. You may try feeding it close to the anemone. Do NOT scare the clown or force it into the anemone, as it may harm the clown.

If all else fails, try taping a life-size photo of a clown to the side of the tank on the other side of the anemone. If the clown attacks the photo or acts very scared, remove it at once. Otherwise it may "encourage" the clown to seek a safer territory.

JeffersonReef
10/17/2006, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8358496#post8358496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NicoleC
If all else fails, try taping a life-size photo of a clown to the side of the tank on the other side of the anemone. If the clown attacks the photo or acts very scared, remove it at once. Otherwise it may "encourage" the clown to seek a safer territory.

See... thats the kinda stuff Im talking about! That is GENIUS!! :P

I am feeding the anenome frozen brine shrimp/ krill from cubes... I thaw in a cup of tank water, strain the water, then I spurt a little at a time gently in the vicinity of the bta... it catches its fair share... and the fish clean up the rest. I thought this would also help the clown find it... no luck so far. I will try all ur other suggestions... last resort.. the "dummy clown"...

-Im still chuckling about that idea. Its just nuts enought to work! :)

-TJ

NicoleC
10/17/2006, 04:32 PM
I am feeding the anenome frozen brine shrimp/ krill from cubes... I thaw in a cup of tank water, strain the water, then I spurt a little at a time gently in the vicinity of the bta... it catches its fair share... and the fish clean up the rest. I thought this would also help the clown find it... no luck so far. I will try all ur other suggestions... last resort.. the "dummy clown"...

That's perfect stuff for feeding. You can save money in the future and buy table shrimp or other seafood and chop it in the blender/food processor while it's still frozen and then make flat packs of food -- be sure to wrap it up well or it will freezer burn.

Trader Joes, $5/bag frozen seafood. Some for the fish, dinner for you.

I tried the photo thing a long time ago, but make the picture too big and about gave my clowns a heart attack. :D

JeffersonReef
10/17/2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks. Thats good advice. Then I dont have to worry about the "nitrate factory" water that comes with the pre-packaged frozen cubes! :)

JeffersonReef
10/17/2006, 06:54 PM
bump

billyzbear
10/18/2006, 12:25 AM
I used a flash light on the BTA at night. I think it took three nights. I used a very bright light like what cops use. I read the trick here on RC.