PDA

View Full Version : Nudi ID Please!

Winter
10/16/2006, 08:26 AM
OK,

I found this in my tank this morning. It's a deep reddish orange, and has wat appear to be grayish-green retractible "tufts" at regular intervals along its back. The "head" had about 4 mini "tufts" that appeared to hang over its "face."

I need to know what this thing is and if it is harmful to corals or anything else (especially me!)

Any ideas?

Picture is attached.

Thanks,

Winter

Winter
10/16/2006, 08:28 AM
Ok, picture is not attached, but in my gallery. Sorry..

Kgoarmy17
10/16/2006, 10:07 AM
Picture is quite blurry.... hard to tell if it is even a nudi IMO. Kinda looks chiton-ish to me.

A better picture would help with identification.

dc
10/16/2006, 10:45 AM
I also thought it looked kind of like a chiton. Although I've never seen a picture of one with tufts. Definately need a clear picture.

Winter
10/16/2006, 11:42 AM
Uploaded a couple pictures I forgot I took with my cell phone. Not much better, but maybe different angles? I don't remember any plates on this thing, and chitons are supposed to have eight right? But it did attempt to curl up into a ball when I dropped it on the substrate.

Bugger took some of the corraline with him when he came off the rock. I don't think he was eating it, just a really strong grip.

Do the new pics help?

dc
10/16/2006, 11:51 AM
The pictures are a little better, hopefully someone will be familiar with whatever it is.

Winter
10/16/2006, 11:53 PM
Anybody know what this is?

Need some help here.

Gracias,

Winter

Kgoarmy17
10/17/2006, 12:19 AM
Still looks quite Chiton-ish to me with the ridgeline of what appear to be scales down the backside. As for species I don't know, nor can i find any relative pictures that might help you along.

"Bugger took some of the corraline with him when he came off the rock" -also reminds me of a chiton, Pulling chitons off rocks aren't for the feint hearted. Strong guys.
lol :D

Nudi's dont have much of a grip and even water movement can force them off many objects.

Did it feel soft, hard, goo like, hairy?

Goodluckand let me know if you find out anything

SuperNerd
10/17/2006, 01:29 AM
Most of the pics look like little "ugly fuzzy sea creatures in semi focus" (:lmao: ) but a couple of the pics remind me of a chiton (as does the fact that it has an extremely strong grip). :) I agree with Kgoarmy17. If you're up to it...I say...touch it. Use thin plastic gloves that still allow you to feel texture to be on the safe side. If it's a chiton most likely it will be at least semi rough to the touch. If it's a nudi then I believe it will most likely be squishy and soft. If you do not want to touch it then use a stick to poke it but do it gently and lightly so you don't injure it.

Does it have two puffy little "antennae" at one end of the body?

Winter
10/17/2006, 08:34 AM
I am not inclined to touch this thing, due to the afforementioned coloration and the spikey tufts on its back. However, I believe that you are right, and that it is probably a not a nudi.

I hsould ahve realized this when I took it off the rock, as I used tongs with a considerable degree of pressure to pull it off. I would assume that a sea slug would have ripped in two with the ammount of force I had to use.

That said. Does anyone know a good referrence site for chitons? I have done a google search, but nothing meaningfull or informative has shown up. I didn't even know these things existed until I posted here.

Any links would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys! I've been away for a while, but RC still rocks!

Winter

greenbean36191
10/23/2006, 08:50 PM
It's definitely a chiton. My WAG, judging by the shape of the valves is that it's just some odd species of Cryptoplax.