PDA

View Full Version : When Do I Do First Water Change???

zrs6v4
10/14/2006, 07:57 PM
I have a 120 gallon with 150 lbs cured LR, 4 inch sandbed, 2 small false percs, Foxface.... It has been up and running for 2 months with no problems. I have tested the water levels and they are at.. ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrates-10, salinity-1.025, PH 8.1. My calcium is low but I have been talking to Marine Solutions (LFS) and they told me to wait 6 months for a water change, calcium dosage, and buffer... All that I have been doing is feeding every other day, adding water, and cleaning front glass algae every once in awhile.. everything seems good... Am I right? or is there anything else I can do better???

serpentman
10/14/2006, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you are due now. Nitrates are on the verge of being high. I would maintain a schedule of 10% PWCs per week

zrs6v4
10/14/2006, 08:01 PM
So what about dosing with calcium and buffer? So its not true to wait 6 months for a water change?

serpentman
10/14/2006, 08:11 PM
Absolutely not. I hate to say it but I think this goes on the proverbial top 10 list of things of bad advice given by a LFS. Don't feel bad as I have gotten my share of poor advice from mine as well.

PWC's due two things:

1.) help remove nitrates
2.) replenish beneficial trace elements

Waiting 6 months could have quite detrimental results

Tang_Cool
10/15/2006, 06:32 AM
Totally agree with serpentman :thumbsup: .

parothead22
10/15/2006, 10:03 AM
What was the reason for going 6Months-without a water change...what bad advice! Partial water changes done WEEKLY are your best bet in insurring continued success of your tank!! If you were to go 6 months without a water change, unless you were supplementing/dosing trace minerals etc. your tank would be depleted of alot of traces and vitamins etc. Granted, calcium and the like would be released into the palegic areas (water column)of your tank from your aragonite(substrate) but it isn't enough.
I would also dose iodine, Kalkwasser, strontium, iron and traces into your tank over and above regular water changes as your skimmer, corals, fish and inverts will remove many of these beneficial components rather quickly.
Now as for the feeding routine, Imo, I would ffed your tank inhabitants more than every other day. I would feed 3-4 times a day everyday. What do you have as far as corals/fish.inverts? And how many? The key to feeding is to feed small portions so as to have all the food removed within 5 minutes or less-to help with nitrate and phosphate problems. I would also offer a variety of food stuff for your livestock. Ie. Rotifers, Cyclops, algae/seaweed/spirulina, shrimp, formula food, clam, phyto-zooplankton...as we eat a varied diet so does your livestock! These are just my opinions, but hopefully they will help shed some llight on your questions!

serpentman
10/15/2006, 10:06 AM
If you do decide to dose trace elements be sure to test for each element you are dosing.

nmprisons
10/15/2006, 11:00 AM
don't wait 6 months ... by then your levels will be so low you will encounter problems.

UnderCoverDork
10/15/2006, 11:02 AM
change it now...10-15%

zrs6v4
10/15/2006, 11:25 AM
ok I will for sure. I have a foxface, 2 fasle percs a small bubble tip anenome, 2 serpent stars, 6nessarius, 6cerith, and 2 turbo snails. corals nothin more than a couple of shroom rocks