PDA

View Full Version : white ribbon eel

sandlot13
10/14/2006, 11:16 AM
Has anyone ever kept a white ribbon eel in their tank? I currently have one on hold at my LFS, and yes it eats frozen food. Im just curious if anyone has an experiance with these guys. I have been doing mad amounts of research for the past few days on these animals, and so far, it seems as if they are typically hit or miss, with the major factor being whether or not they will eat frozen food. As this one does, I am very interested in purchasing it.

This is not your typical ribbon eel. In fact, it is a different specie than the commonly seen black, blue, or yellow ribbon eel. These ones have a better track record than those.

Because of this purchase, I will need to create a cover for my tank now. Any suggestions other than buying some acrlyic and cutting it to perfect proportions?

Sk8r
10/14/2006, 11:51 AM
I had a ghost eel. It is the only creature I ever had to unbuild a tank to get out. I had no problem feeding it: it ate 300.00 worth of fish, literally everything it could stretch its mouth to accommodate. It is nocturnal, only came out in the actinics, and one of the most beautiful creatures in that setting I ever saw in my tank. I had no trouble with it jumping: it loved my tank so much it took every last piece of rock removed to dislodge it.

If you have the setup for it, it might eat live mysis. It will decline prepared food in favor of live food, easily, and if it has any tank mates it will quickly be solo.

sandlot13
10/14/2006, 04:16 PM
haha, gotcha, so a bad experiance for you........ i think i should be okay, as long as I keep him well fed.... hes not that big yet, but they do have a hinged mouth, so im not sure if my fish could be possible food or not.

anyone else have any experiance with these guys?

Triggeraddict
10/14/2006, 10:54 PM
I had one back when I kept Ribbon Eels, and it was the most perfect fish...NEVER had any problems with it touching another fish. Sk8r- are you sure you didn't end up with a Longtail Moray (occasionally they get shipped as Ghost Ribbons...they lack the black dots on the face though). I think you should be fine. They will primarily only eat crustaceans so keep it well fed and they will do fine. They have the hardiness level similar to the Zebra and SFE track records. Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

sandlot13
10/14/2006, 11:35 PM
wow, thanks a lot! that really makes me more sure of my decision to get the cool little bugger! Any other tips you can give me? Did it ever try to escape at all? Im worried that if i have any part of my top open it might explore a little too much and end up on the floor! What kind of diet did you keep yours on? krill, silversides, squid?

sandlot13
10/15/2006, 04:15 AM
wow, thanks a lot! that really makes me more sure of my decision to get the cool little bugger! Any other tips you can give me? Did it ever try to escape at all? Im worried that if i have any part of my top open it might explore a little too much and end up on the floor! What kind of diet did you keep yours on? krill, silversides, squid?

double post, moderator please delete ;)